Ower 8 Pin Motherboard with no 8 pin PSU?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by byteninja2, Jun 9, 2012.

1. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

I got a asus p8p67, and am waiting to get a CPU for it. But, I noticed the asus uses a 8 Pin ATX power connecter, and my psu only has 1 6 pin and 1 4 pin. Could I like use half of the four pin and 6 pin to power the motherboard? Or, do I have to buy a 8 pin adapter?

2. wolfeking

wolfeking banned

are you talking about the CPU power? If so, thats not an ATX connector. Its a modified P4 connector. But you can use the 4 pin to power it. I would not get an adapter as it will still get the same power as the P4 your using.

3. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If you plan on gaming with it, then its recommended to get a new psu with an 8 pin 12volt connector.

4. spirit

spirit VIP Member

Wolfe's right, you can still power the system fine with just one 4-pin P4 connector because it did it on my P75P55D-E for a while...

...but I'd follow what John said above and get yourself a better power supply with all 8 pins. :)

5. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

Should I use a 6 pin? That should give some more power.

6. johnb35

The 6 pin isn't used for the cpu, its used for a video card. You need to upgrade your psu to one that has an 8 pin cpu power connection.

7. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

This year, in about 6 months, my psu will be upgraded. My gpu is taking all the draw d\from the pci, thats what scares me. Im putting all that power on the motherboard. And, some mobos use a 6 pin, I have seen it. And, isnt pci 75 watts max, so why does this sat 180 watts in the power section?
    http://techgage.com/article/asus_geforce_210_gt_220_gt_240/10

8. johnb35

There is no such thing as a 6pin cpu connector, it's either 4pins or 8 pins. The 6 pin is used strictly for video cards.

9. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

[​IMG]
    Whats this?

10. johnb35

What is the model of the board so I can look it up? I do believe I see 8 pin connections up top.

11. wolfeking

wolfeking banned

That is a 6 pin power to the PCIe that some boards add for CF/SLI setups. It will not power the CPU at all.

12. FuryRosewood

FuryRosewood Active Member

supplementary power for PCI-e lanes, my biostar t-power n750 had a 4 pin molex for powering those lanes you do want to have 8 pin on your cpu power, a 6 pin pci-e power cable is not the same as a 2x4 pin 12 volt cpu power connector.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  13. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

Okay guys thanks, can I run it with a 4 pin and my low power 240 that takes all its power from a pcie?

14. spirit

spirit VIP Member

It would probably run OK, but I'd upgrade to an 8-pin PSU ASAP.

15. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

Just figured out something.I guess that a 4 pin is all you need.Some electric association requires the motherboard to have a bigger input of power just to be safe.And a 4 pin is all you need, I guess, as the wires can carry enough power to a 8 pin with a 4 pin.But i ma still upgrading my psu as soon as I get my sli setup in 6 months.

16. FuryRosewood

FuryRosewood Active Member

the six pin is optional, you could run with a 4 pin, but i dont recommend it myself.

17. StrangleHold

StrangleHold Moderator Staff Member

The six pin is a PCIe connector, not keyed the same or wired the same as a 4/8 pin CPU power connector. The extra 6 pin connector is for PCIe slots if your running multi cards for extra power to the slots. If a board has a 8 pin CPU power connector, all are wired different. Some will work just fine with a 4 pin. Some will not boot at all with a 4 pin. Some will run fine, but you will have problems with a higher wattage processors, especially if your overclocking.

18. byteninja2

byteninja2 banned

I think it will run with a i3, only 65w I think.

19. ClearCase

ClearCase New Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012