Paranoia of RAID 0

I want to set up a RAID 0 array with two WD SE16 250Gb drives, in my next build of course. Should I do regular backups on a USB drive until I get comfortable with it? I am just weary of it, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
I had a RAID0 array on my current build when I was using Vista. It was extremely easy to set up, all I had to do was go into the RAID utility, tell it what type of array I wanted, and change a few settings, and then I was ready to go. Vista installed without a hitch, and I noticed a decent improvement when loading games and transferring my large videos and photos.

Although I was messing around in Linux and I messed up the drive while trying to create a partition, so everything was lost (luckily I make backups on DVD's though). I would have run a RAID0 array again with XP, but I dont have any drivers for it so XP doesnt recognize the array. So now I have one drive setup for my data, and the other for the OS.

[-0MEGA-];705905 said:
I had a RAID0 array on my current build when I was using Vista. It was extremely easy to set up, all I had to do was go into the RAID utility, tell it what type of array I wanted, and change a few settings, and then I was ready to go. Vista installed without a hitch, and I noticed a decent improvement when loading games and transferring my large videos and photos.

That's what I want, I am really considering this. When I install Vista, does it ask for a third party driver like XP does?

Geoff

VIP Member
That's what I want, I am really considering this. When I install Vista, does it ask for a third party driver like XP does?
It didn't for me, and I have one of the latest chipsets and RAID controllers.

After getting the RAID setup via the onboard controller, Vista saw a single 640GB hard drive, and I was able to change settings and install data on it as if it were just a single drive.

[-0MEGA-];705915 said:
It didn't for me, and I have one of the latest chipsets and RAID controllers.

After getting the RAID setup via the onboard controller, Vista saw a single 640GB hard drive, and I was able to change settings and install data on it as if it were just a single drive.

That's a good sign, this will be a pretty new build

DS3R-P35
2 SE16 HDDs
C2D E6850
88-89 series card
Vista Home Prem x64 or Ultimate x64
XMS2 1066Mhz 2Gb RAM

Could you kinda step me through it?

Geoff

VIP Member
You have a similar motherboard, so it will probably be very similar to how mine was setup. It's been a little while so I dont remember exactly, but I believe you need to press CTRL+I to get into the RAID utility after the POST is finished.

But before you do that, you need to go into the BIOS and go to the SATA configuration, and set it up as RAID. If you're board is similar to mine, then you will need to use certain SATA ports in order for it to work.

Once you get into the RAID utility, the rest is pretty self explanatory.

[-0MEGA-];705946 said:
You have a similar motherboard, so it will probably be very similar to how mine was setup. It's been a little while so I dont remember exactly, but I believe you need to press CTRL+I to get into the RAID utility after the POST is finished.

But before you do that, you need to go into the BIOS and go to the SATA configuration, and set it up as RAID. If you're board is similar to mine, then you will need to use certain SATA ports in order for it to work.

Once you get into the RAID utility, the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Yeah, ports 00 and 01? Is a POST visual, my PC has never POSTED that is visual.

Geoff

VIP Member
I believe my default it has the Intel or motherboard logo appear, but you can change that so it shows all the POST info instead.

[-0MEGA-];705951 said:
I believe my default it has the Intel or motherboard logo appear, but you can change that so it shows all the POST info instead.

I always keep mine on standby, lol. This thing does it so quick with the Intel screen that it's unreal. Now this Intel board wouldn't go through with Ctrl+I would it?

Geoff

VIP Member
I know on mine the RAID status screen pops up for only a split second, so it took several restarts for me to be able to read what it says to press to enter the RAID setup (too lazy to read the manual :p). If I were you I would just continually press CTRL+I until you see the RAID utility screen, or Windows starts to load.

Geoff

VIP Member
There is no jumper to setup RAID, and you dont need to use a jumper to reset the BIOS, it does it automatically if it doesnt boot.

Cleric7x9

just so you know, with RAID 0 you are doubling your chances of loosing all your data. if one harddrive goes, then you lose all that data on both harddrives. RAID 0 isnt really necessary unless you do a lot of video editing or run a server that needs faster read/write speeds

Geoff

VIP Member
Cleric is right about RAID0 being more prone to a failure, but the chance of a drive failing is pretty low. As long as you have a way to backup your data then RAID0 is fine.

[-0MEGA-];706398 said:
Cleric is right about RAID0 being more prone to a failure, but the chance of a drive failing is pretty low. As long as you have a way to backup your data then RAID0 is fine.

Yeah, I am gonna order a 500Gb Internal drive or an external 500Gb drive....