Parts help?

teamhex

So recently my system(in the sig) stopped working. It won't POST and doesn't beep with the ram out so I've caulked it up as toast. This is the first failure I've had of any kind(on my own machines that is), although I'm not surprised because it's really old and has been over clocked.

In a nutshell I need a new motherboard, processor, and Ram. I've been out of new system building for some time. I don't know good deals from the bad. I have around $250 to spend on the three parts. I have no preference...AMD....Intel...Doesn't matter just as long as it works with the good parts I already have. I also don't plan on over clocking this time so a stock cooler will work. I live really close to Directron so links to that store would be easier, but I'm sure I can use Google so either way. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

teamhex

The motherboard shows 1800oc max on the ram, but the ram you linked says 2133. You sure that will work?

teamhex

Question?
The PSU is working , right. When a system stops working the PSU is usually the culprit.

Normally people experience locking up, reboots, or complete failure. This one boots and I can hear certain devices power on, but I've tried different video cards so...idk man. Either way its time for a new system.

tech savvy

The motherboard shows 1800oc max on the ram, but the ram you linked says 2133. You sure that will work?

The MoBo will default the ram to 1333, you'll have to go in the BIOS and enable the XMP, which will put your ram to the rated speeds of 2133.

tech savvy

You want to run memory in dual channel so you would need a dual channel kit not just 1 stick at 8gb. Other than that, good choice but over budget.

That's what I was gonna say myself.

Also a little over budget.

Last edited:

teamhex

So I've decided on this. Does anyone see any incompatibilities?

iAUbqoY.png

spirit

Staff member
Seems all right to me!

How much cheaper is 1600MHz or 1866MHz RAM though? If the 2133MHz RAM is only a few bucks more than 1866 you may as well get it. Just make sure your board supports it though.

teamhex

Seems all right to me!

How much cheaper is 1600MHz or 1866MHz RAM though? If the 2133MHz RAM is only a few bucks more than 1866 you may as well get it. Just make sure your board supports it though.

From what I can tell it's not that much more expensive. I do plan on adding another set of two stick eventually.

As far as supporting it, the board does say it supports 2133MHz O.C. I assume that means over clocked, but I think it should be able to handle it. Before someone sent me a build with a board that showed a max of 1600MHz. He also had some 2133MHz memory in the build and said it would work, you just had to turn on or off a setting called XML(I think?). I've been out of building for awhile so any more detailed info on it would be great.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I too have a feeling the RAM has to be overclocked. It may work, I'm pretty certain it will work actually.

teamhex

Yeah I too have a feeling the RAM has to be overclocked. It may work, I'm pretty certain it will work actually.

It will work if I overclock or it will work over all when just throwing it in? Again I'm not really privy to DDR3 and newer motherboard compatibilities.

Darren

Staff member
It'll work at lower speeds but it's "designed" to work at higher speeds. If you don't want to mess with overclocking just leave it as the speed your motherboard sets it at. Otherwise just overclock it yourself. Will work either way.

teamhex

It'll work at lower speeds but it's "designed" to work at higher speeds. If you don't want to mess with overclocking just leave it as the speed your motherboard sets it at. Otherwise just overclock it yourself. Will work either way.

Ok sounds good. I plan on over clocking eventually so it may be good to get anyway. I'm pulling the trigger. Thanks guys!