PC Gaming vs Console Gaming

Which do you prefer

• Total voters

raiderfan

like to see what others prefer when it comes to gaming...

Do you prefer PC or Consoles (PS3,Xbox360) ?
Let's hear it... your choice and why?

How about some pro's and con's from both.....
(info taken from other reviews, not my opinions)

Consoles (Xbox 360, PS3)

Pro's

- Cost, can get system now $299 or so, no worries about upgrading
- Simplicity, basically hook up and go! No drivers to update, configuring etc
- Comfort, can sit around on couch with buddies, large tv's etc, you dont really
invite a bunch over to gather around your PC to play Madden do ya? lol
- Rentals... can rent Console games from Blockbuster etc, PC's not at all
- Low learning curve, won't need hours in tutorials as in PC's to get prepared, just need
fast thumbs and go with controller!

Cons

- When it's outdated, its outdated!
- Basically for games only (well now can watch Blu-Ray/DVD's), but compared to a PC you can pretty much do it all on PC
- inter-connectivity between the different console brands. Many games are available for one type of console but not others
- when it comes to online play, each is typically restricted to its own network
- Microsoft charges a yearly fee for use of the Xbox Live service.

PC Gaming

Pro's

- a lot more games available for the PC than there are for consoles, particularly when it comes to multiplayer online games
- you can modify games or edit maps, apply mods, patches, cheats, etc
- Games are cheaper to buy, or even download
- like mentioned earlier, can use for alot more than just gaming
- as your PC ages, there is a reasonable chance of extending its gaming life with a component upgrade, new video card etc (although can get pricey)
- PCs are always on the cutting edge of gaming technology, Computer monitors can be found with considerably higher resolutions than HDTVs, and the latest multi-core processors and dual GPU solutions make it possible to build a remarkably powerful game system. Even if a console offers incredible technology upon its release, there is no way for it to compete with the rapid hardware advancements that have become a way of life in the computer industry
- PCs give people a variety of ways to connect to the Internet, and to each other, which aren't restricted to proprietary services or software, PC multiplayer games can host hundreds of gamers simultaneously; there are no Massive Multiplayer console games.

Con's

- More expensive than consoles, Video Cards, memory upgrades etc
- most PC gamers will encounter some technical complication that interferes with their gaming, be it a device driver that needs updating or components that are simply incompatible, You never really know if it's going to work until you're actually play the game
- PC games have the potential to get ridiculously complicated. This can give a game depth, but it can also result in tedious arrays of keyboard commands and lengthy tutorials which one must endure to learn how to play.
- PC games are often not well-suited for playing on the couch, especially given that the mouse and keyboard are the preferred PC game controllers. Unlike console games, you also won't find many PC games that support two players on one machine at the same time.

Final Thoughts

The latest round of consoles has a lot to offer online gamers, and if you're into sports and racing titles, consoles are a good way to go.
If you like massively multiplayer games and online shooters, there are a great deal more to choose from on the PC. Graphics are superior, and tons more uses besides gaming....

My opinion....

I always been a PC Gamer, I think graphics are better, I mostly play online anyways and not with others, I prefer the Keyboard/Mouse controlling over a joystick. I like to edit my games, personalize with mods, hacks, cheats or whatever..... can download demos or free games, and will always be on the PC for other uses.

I vote PC

Drenlin

can-of-worms.jpg

Aastii

VIP Member
lol drenlin, couldn't agree more.

But I voted PC, better graphics, better communication, and with the second point, better for being in a proper clan, not just sticking some letters on after your name like on consnoles, on PC you can actually have clan matches, always speak over TS or vent, have proper stuff going on over the clan site and beetter yet, you can have a clan dedi server with all the settings that you want. For me the price is worth it for the better social aspect of it, and for the better grapphics and therefore immersion over console games.

Oh, and also, PC has better controls imo than a controller

Archangel

VIP Member
Depends on the kind of game. I've always preferred racing games on a console. rts's on a pc.
Lately I've been playing a lot more on my xbox than I've been playing on my pc tough, so I voted for the console on this one.

russb

Raiderfan you must be crap at playing online if you have to resort to (I like to edit my games, personalize with mods, hacks, cheats or whatever..... )I hope i dont meet you online.

Aastii

VIP Member
- you can modify games or edit maps, apply mods, patches, cheats, etc

Raiderfan you must be crap at playing online if you have to resort to (I like to edit my games, personalize with mods, hacks, cheats or whatever..... )I hope i dont meet you online.

How does putting mods on a game, playing a user made map or mods make you crap at playing :confused: ? If you have ever played CS, most of the maps are user made, tehre are loads of mods for it too, same goes for CoD, TF, there are mods for single player games like FO, Oblivion, HL, just about any really. Even using helpful mods, stuff like Quest healper or Carbonite on WoW for instance, don't make you a bad player.

The cheat bit I aggree on, but not the mods or other maps

ganzey

banned

lol, ever heard of garrysmod? some people just create customlevels

linkin

VIP Member
I agree with you guys on CS:S. I have loads of custom weapon skins (my scout has a laser pointer - WIN!) and i have heaps and heaps of maps. i frequently visit the zombie mod servers too.

PC Gaming all the way.

ScottALot

Really depends on the game. I think FPS, competitive FPS, and adventure games are great on the consoles, while strategy, RPG, and competitive RPG are good on the PC.

mac550

i always say that console gaming is for people who are too stupid and/or too lazy to build a gaming rig. you don't need a PhD in computing to know that the PC will always be the more superior system.

ScottALot

i always say that console gaming is for people who are too stupid and/or too lazy to build a gaming rig. you don't need a PhD in computing to know that the PC will always be the more superior system.

It's not about power, it's more about the type of players you are with. PC gamers tend to either be totally relaxed or really competitive, which is good for those types of people, but consoles have that range between that I enjoy.

Aastii

VIP Member
Really depends on the game. I think FPS, competitive FPS, and adventure games are great on the consoles, while strategy, RPG, and competitive RPG are good on the PC.

It's not about power, it's more about the type of players you are with. PC gamers tend to either be totally relaxed or really competitive, which is good for those types of people, but consoles have that range between that I enjoy.

(potentially here comes the can of worms coming bursting out :p)

what? I think you are either a complete console fanboy so are blind most of the stuff of PC gaming, or have never dpone any PC gaming, which I doubt seeing as how you are in the computer games and consoles section of a computer forum.

Competative FPS on consoles? Are you t-ing the p? You look at any major electronic sports game and the FPS games are on PC. There are major CS:S tournaments on PC, not on xbox, there are major CoD4, WaW and even old CoD game tournaments for PC, but no major console ones (I am sure there are competitions for them, but not major ones). The only games that are played competatively on consoles are racing games, fighting games or sports games.

And yes, there are inbetween in all types of online games. You go and look for a clan in any PC game now and you will find casual clans with people of all ages, all ability from all over the world, you will get the very competative that have 3 or 4 nights training a weekthat spend hours upon hours refining their skills together to be the best, but in that you have clans that play competatively, but have lives outside, you have ones that play casually but have the odd fun match, you have ones that have clan wars, where a few clans have a fun tournament, outside of which they are all friendly and casual gamers, but in the game they may aswell be real soldiers, drivers, tacticians whatever depending on game, because listening to them communicate you would know no difference.

There is a massive difference in players. All that you get on consoles is people that you talk to, ie. irl friends, and then everyone that you don't know either squeeks abuse at you down the microphone, sings or its totally silent, so apart from people that you actually know, you never have a community other than one full of abuse and crap singing. The serious ones shout at you with obsedities you have never heard of, the relaxed ones sing and never talk in game and there isn't a middle ground, ecept for the odd cocky 12 year old that thinks they have clever retorts and views for everything, or some bloke talking to his wife, not realising everyone can hear him

ganzey

banned

+1. another thing is pc gamers are usually smart people who built thier computers. about 60% of people on xbox live and ps3 network are 10 year olds

Archangel

VIP Member

Please dont tell me you're one of the people who only care about graphics.
There is more to a good gaming xp than just having better grafics.

Co-op split screen play for exampl is brilliant, just doesnt work on a pc. so if you want to play something with friends in the evening, without taking your pc (or theirs) as luggage, a console is the better choice for that.

(hmm, one could argue pc gaming is for people who have no friends :p )

anyways, I gues you get my point. :)

mac550

Please dont tell me you're one of the people who only care about graphics.
There is more to a good gaming xp than just having better grafics.

Co-op split screen play for exampl is brilliant, just doesnt work on a pc. so if you want to play something with friends in the evening, without taking your pc (or theirs) as luggage, a console is the better choice for that.

(hmm, one could argue pc gaming is for people who have no friends :p )

anyways, I gues you get my point. :)

im not talking about overall power. im just saying that you can do so much more with a PC. you cant sit there one minute playing MW2 then close it and do some music editing with cubase on a console. plus the fact that you can mod a PC without facing possible legal action from M$

G25r8cer

PC Gaming hands down

Way more options, mods, accessories

PC has more Open Source stuff

PC allows more/different input

PC is and always will be more powerful and upgradeable than Console's

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
PC Gaming hands down

Way more options, mods, accessories

PC has more Open Source stuff

PC allows more/different input

PC is and always will be more powerful and upgradeable than Console's

Im with him.....only real advantage to consoles over pcs imo are that they are cheaper....wont require you to upgrade all the time because all the games for console are optimised for the same hardware!

lubo4444

[-0MEGA-];1392346 said:
PC here, I've always found that a keyboard and mouse to be better for gaming.

PC i also like the keyboard and mouse better than joystick even though i have one for my pc.