pc is dead

ablabs

hi guys,

first of all i dont know that much of computers, so dont expect me to. and also i bought my computer from a family member and i believe he put the pc together himself, so i dont really know all the specifications, but if you really need something i can always check..

okay, so until yesterday my pc worked fine for months, but just this morning i tried to start up my pc and nothing happened. i looked at the back and saw that my power watcher said: 002. i dont know for sure what that means but i think its something in watt?? also i saw that a blue lcd display on the back was blinking. i looked closely but i cant figure out what it says. its continously blinking and i cant see full symbols butonly a few lines. you know, as in a digital clock.
so besides that, my pc does nothing. when i press the power button on the front i see nothing and hear nothing.
i figured its a good chance, its my PSU. so i had taken it out and tested it as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2RizQ8U2k
its problably not the best way to test, but at least i know something know. cause, although it still said: 002 on the power watcher, the PSU seemed to work.
now i dont really what to do. if you have any idea what it could be, or can tell how to test different parts, please tell me

thank in advance

Viision

Try pulling your psu out and testing it in another pc, or go to a computer store and get a psu tester they're pretty cheap.

ablabs

Mine is 600Watt. Is it risky to put it in a pc that normally has an other kind of PSU? Or to put that other PSU in my pc?

ablabs

Btw, i checked and plugged into my own pc, the fan of my PSU doesnt work.. Does that mean its definitely my PSI thats broken or could it still be something else?

Viision

Could be your motherboard then. Try swapping a motherboard. Try putting a powersupply into your computer something that will power everything ok.

DJHarrison

Btw, i checked and plugged into my own pc, the fan of my PSU doesnt work.. Does that mean its definitely my PSI thats broken or could it still be something else?

Did the computer turn on when/if you swapped the PSU? If it worked, plug it back into the PC that was bought. Is there a light on the motherboard when you plugged it in?

ablabs

Maybe i was not clear enough. Sry. But i asked wether its risky or not to test my 600W PSU at another pc that normally uses for example 500W or whatever. So i havent tried my psu on another pc and didn't use another PSU to test on my own pc.
@prithive dont think thats the problem, cause normally the power watcher says something different than 002. And that lcd display normally doesnt do anything
@djharrison i can see a power button, reset button and some other button on what i believe is the motherboard. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

DJHarrison

Maybe i was not clear enough. Sry. But i asked wether its risky or not to test my 600W PSU at another pc that normally uses for example 500W or whatever. So i havent tried my psu on another pc and didn't use another PSU to test on my own pc.
@prithive dont think thats the problem, cause normally the power watcher says something different than 002. And that lcd display normally doesnt do anything
@djharrison i can see a power button, reset button and some other button on what i believe is the motherboard. Is that what you mean?

Using a 600W wouldn't be dangerous (ex. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090116000332AAvAqFd)

No, on the motherboard, there are usually lights when you plug the PSU in. It shows the motherboard has power and is working. If there is no light on the motherboard, it usually means the motherboard is dead or the PSU isn't functioning correctly. To figure out which one, you either have to have a voltage tester or you have to try the PSU on another machine that you know is working.

ablabs

Using a 600W wouldn't be dangerous (ex. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090116000332AAvAqFd)

No, on the motherboard, there are usually lights when you plug the PSU in. It shows the motherboard has power and is working. If there is no light on the motherboard, it usually means the motherboard is dead or the PSU isn't functioning correctly. To figure out which one, you either have to have a voltage tester or you have to try the PSU on another machine that you know is working.

unfortunately, i dont have another pc on which i can try my psu on..
i can see a green light on my motherboard. just as in this pic: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/2957_large_Striker_Extreme_2D_L.jpg
somewhere in the left-upper corner between a blue and white long something :)
is that what you mean?
also on the bottom, next to that white 24-pin connector for your psu a blue really small light flashes when i turn my psu on, for like a millisecond...

Something worth while trying is replace the mobo battery. I disconnected my computer today, and took it over to a friends house to show it to her. (It has a lot of unique custom features). When I got it home tonight, and hooked it back up, trying to start it failed repeatedly. - Black screen, - so I replaced the mobo battery and that solved the problem. A lot of mobos and video cards, WILL NOT GIVE ANY VIDEO WHATSOEVER if the mobo battery is dead; and disconnecting the machine for a few hours, leaves the battery with no power input to keep it charged.

thanks for your help, but unfortunately thats not the problem :(

Viision

I would just go buy a power supply tester from a computer store. They are like 20 bucks. Then you will have your answer.