pc is slow

bwganbrain

hi, i recently bought a pc from pc world & the thing is really slow. i cant understand why because it has a quad core processor, 6gig ram & a 500gig hard drive. it's an advent & it's runnung vista home premium. it takes ages to start up and even longer to open programs, even the likes of my computer & control panel

CAN YOU HELP!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Follow the advice from here and post the requested logs. Do you have virus software and have you scanned your pc with it?

Jaack

After scanning your computer is again your computer performance still slow .
try to do this steps.
1. Disable all the unwanted startup from MSCONFIG.
2. Disable Firewall once and check computer performance.
3. Disable Antivirus once and check computer performance.

Nikole

if your computer is working slow , try to resolve this issue .
1 Delete all the temporary junk files fom your computer , ie %temp% , temp , pretech .
2 Use diskcleanup .
3 Use defragmentaion.
4 Increase the virtual memory of your computer .
5 Remove unwanted , startup items from msconfig .
6 Remove unwanted services from msconfig > services
7 Scan your computer with updated antivirus software, for all the malwares present on your computer .

Bodaggit23

hi, i recently bought a pc from pc world & the thing is really slow. i cant understand why because it has a quad core processor, 6gig ram & a 500gig hard drive. it's an advent & it's runnung vista home premium. it takes ages to start up and even longer to open programs, even the likes of my computer & control panel

CAN YOU HELP!!

How much RAM did your new pc come with?

If it came with only 512Mb of RAM, you'll have performance issues using Vista.

I know you said it was an Advent, but which model? We can try to look up some specs for you and see how much RAM you could put in, and how much it would cost.

Also, you can stop some programs from starting up when Windows starts
using the "msconfig" by looking here:
http://www.techpavan.com/2009/03/16/slow-system-slow-windows-xp-performance-solution/

Bob692006

CAN YOU HELP!!

Think you missed that. Your good on RAM and it could be a virus, but since your saying it's new I'd hope that you don't have your computer bogged down by unwanted background processes yet. Can we get a model number for the computer to get a better idea of what kind of performance you should be seeing?

Bob692006

True. Doesn't hurt to check his startup programs though.

Wasn't saying it wasn't a good idea, just hoping he hasn't loaded that much "crap" onto it yet, but he didn't say exactly how new it is. I think we'll just have to wait till the OP gives us some more info.

brendanmelanson

Try a re-install of Vista... Don't ask me why but I do a clean install every six months because after six months I notice it getting a lot slower.

Bob692006

Try a re-install of Vista... Don't ask me why but I do a clean install every six months because after six months I notice it getting a lot slower.

It's mainly due to the immense amount of junk that builds up on your system if you don't do routine maintenance. Such as, when you install a program then uninstall it, it'll leave behind broken files and registry entries all over the place. You'll also run into a building of system dump files, temporary internet files, etc. As long as you run a program like CCleaner once a week or so, regularly defrag your HDD (this is done automatically in Vista), and keep your system physically clean (blowing out dust a few times out of the month), then you shouldn't really see your PC getting any slower unless your having hardware issues. I had an install of XP on my old system for well over 2 years and didn't start to see a performance decrease until my HDD starting going out.