Pc Not Detecting Internet?

FFCFoo

Hi, I just want to get my brothers pc running so I can run my Counter Strike Source server on there but my brothers pc does not detect any Ethernet cord I put in it. The Ethernet cord is plugged into the back of the pc in the Ethernet spot. It is not a network card. It is the one by the motherboard if you get what I mean. I have tried looking for the name of it in the components then network then adapters area but there is so many for example: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC or packet scheduler miniport. I just want internet on there. I dont no why it aint detecting it? I just installed windows professional on it and I have a qwest M1000 modem and a router that is connected to it. Here is my whole setup for my modem and router. I take the Modem plug it into slot 1 of the router and plug all the Ethernet cords in all the slots for the pc's. So the pc's run through that and goes to the router. I even tried connecting my brother's pc directly to the modem where it is suppose to be but nothing? I really appreciate the help!

EDIT: forgot to say this is my brothers pc: HP Compaq d220 Microtower Desktop PC

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into device manager and list everything thats listed under network adapters, you said there were many. There should only be a couple listed at most. If you have AOL installed and don't use it, uninstall it, sometimes AOL creates multiple network adapters. Once you get that sorted out, hook up straight to the modem without the router, you may need to turn modem off and then back on.

Here is the driver page for your model of computer.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...7529&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1098#11395

According to the webpage you have the wrong driver installed. It has either intel or broadcom driver.

FFCFoo

Go into device manager and list everything thats listed under network adapters, you said there were many. There should only be a couple listed at most. If you have AOL installed and don't use it, uninstall it, sometimes AOL creates multiple network adapters. Once you get that sorted out, hook up straight to the modem without the router, you may need to turn modem off and then back on.

Here is the driver page for your model of computer.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...7529&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1098#11395

According to the webpage you have the wrong driver installed. It has either intel or broadcom driver.

I think I found the problem. The ethernet controller is in device manager in other. That means I need to install the driver for it. But I already think I did?

EDIT: hmm yes I did install the chipset then all the drivers but my ethernet controller is still unlisted. It is still in other.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you aren't installing the right driver. Right click on the network device listed in "other devices" and click on properties. Click on the details tab and tell me what the vendor and device ID numbers are. Each one is 4 digits, could be mix of letters and numbes.