PC or MAC

dubesinhower

*facepalm*

You still don't get it. Throw the world "Mac" out of this conversation. The hardware in what you propose to build for the same price, as say A dell dual Xeon workstation will not be cheaper than building one yourself, nor will it be way more powerful.

That is the only point I am trying to make.

would you use xoens in a gaming rig versus i7?

tlarkin

VIP Member
would you use xoens in a gaming rig versus i7?

Me personally? No, that would be a waste of money. However, that was not my point. My original point was agreeing with bodaggit on how building a PC for gaming is best because you can make it your own for around the same or a bit more of the cost of owning a pre built.

However, my point with you was that you can't build a machine more powerful than what the Mac Pro is spec for spec for the same price. I don't see how you didn't see what I was saying unless you skipped over the first few posts I made on this thread.

Last edited:

Droogie

- you cannot build a custom PC spec for spec and match exactly with a mac pro..(is the price difference worth it? that's for you to decide)
- mac pro's are totally overkill for gaming, they target users with software design, video/graphics intensive software needs. NOT GAMERS
- if you're looking to get the best possible gaming performance out of a computer than the best choice by and far is to build your own PC.

everybody is arguing totally different points.

/thread

Last edited:

dubesinhower

Me personally? No, that would be a waste of money. However, that was not my point. My original point was agreeing with bodaggit on how building a PC for gaming is best because you can make it your own for around the same or a bit more of the cost of owning a pre owned.

However, my point with you was that you can't build a machine more powerful than what the Mac Pro is spec for spec for the same price. I don't see how you didn't see what I was saying unless you skipped over the first few posts I made on this thread.

i dont read most of your posts. tldr.

Laquer Head

I don't claim to know it all. If you don't like what I post and you think I am being an asshole then just hit the ignore feature and you don't have to see any of my posts ever again.

I just tell it like it is, and I am saying that when someone says you can build a way more powerful PC over a Mac pro for way cheaper, it is misinformation because the hardware won't match up.

The problem is you can't see my body language nor my facial expressions when reading what I post on an internet message board. I assure you I am very laid back in person and I am very to the point when I talk to people. If you were to hear me say the exact same thing I wrote on this message board you would have a completely different experience.

If you still don't like it, hit the ignore button.

Hey man, as I said it wasn't a personal attack and you make an excellent point that I/we can't see body language or expressions.

I don't need to ignore you at all man! No reason to I just wanted to be direct with you--no personal attack just my 2 cents.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hey man, as I said it wasn't a personal attack and you make an excellent point that I/we can't see body language or expressions.

I don't need to ignore you at all man! No reason to I just wanted to be direct with you--no personal attack just my 2 cents.

I don't take anything personal said over the Internet, that is just silly to do so.

First of all tlarkin you are a jackass. Every post from you is some condescending bs saying how you know everything and we all should stop posting. Now that said:

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131389
$334 wow so expensive.... not

CPU's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185
$384.99 x 2 = 769.98

Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148247
$97.99

Harddrive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136298

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147125

Total = 1567.99 before tax and without including the MIR's

Now before you say well I am not really putting any hardware in it I built this exact to the Mac Pro 8 core with the 4870 upgrade. What does Apple want for the exact same specs?

3499.99 plus tax and heres the screenshot:
holyexpensiveshit.jpg

tlarkin

VIP Member
and you like to beat arguments to death.

I just like to make my point, and I am fairly decent at debate, while you like to just make stuff up. Things like that drive down the quality of information on the forums.

I would rather someone come here and search a subject and get actual real information rather than a bunch of crap that isn't even true. There are probably a lot of browsers that come here and just read the forums and never post. I am sure the admins/owners of the site would like it better if information was of more quality than it was just made up.

I know when I frequent a forum I don't post a lot on, like php.net or unix shell script forums, I like it when I search for something and find my answer and it is right instead of searching for something and finding a bunch of wrong answers that waste my time. It is like forum karma I guess is how I see it.

Skorax

hey thermal reactor, Just to let you know, i mean this in no sarcastic way or anything, but thats not the mac pro i was talking about, i was talking about the quad core one with 2.93 ghz processors.
I see your points though on i can get a lot more bang for the buck if going straight for a gaming pc.
Also, just wondering, i heard an intel 2.66 ghz processor is faster than a AMD 2.66GHZ processor, if i'm wrong please correct me. Just checking, is a 2.93 ghz processor faster, same, or slower than a 2.93 ghz intel processor?

Last edited:

dubesinhower

I just like to make my point, and I am fairly decent at debate, while you like to just make stuff up. Things like that drive down the quality of information on the forums.

I would rather someone come here and search a subject and get actual real information rather than a bunch of crap that isn't even true. There are probably a lot of browsers that come here and just read the forums and never post. I am sure the admins/owners of the site would like it better if information was of more quality than it was just made up.

I know when I frequent a forum I don't post a lot on, like php.net or unix shell script forums, I like it when I search for something and find my answer and it is right instead of searching for something and finding a bunch of wrong answers that waste my time. It is like forum karma I guess is how I see it.

i didnt make anything up. i said the truth. i may have mispoke by saying that you can build a pc for less than a mac for workstation type work, but i wasnt wrong in saying that for gaming, pcs are cheaper and more powerful, including graphics processing. the 9850 or whatever is in that mac pro is sad compared to some newer gpus.

Strokes

install Ubuntu and then install wine. (my laptop)
Or PC (my desktop)

Mac is to expensive for what you get.

Droogie

what does ubunto and wine do?

don't bother. linux is NOT the answer for gaming. wine is meant to run windows apps in linux, but half the stuff doesn't work. and games are pretty much hit or miss.

i will stick with building a pc, thanks, it difficult by the way to build one?

it's actually quite simple. there are a ton of guides out there, plus we can help you here.

Skorax

i see, thanks. I know i still am pretty dumb when it comes to computers, but only one way to learn.
I heard an i5 just came out? also the new core i7. so that will shoot down prices(i think), has prices lowered at all on the i7?

dubesinhower

i see, thanks. I know i still am pretty dumb when it comes to computers, but only one way to learn.
I heard an i5 just came out? also the new core i7. so that will shoot down prices(i think), has prices lowered at all on the i7?

not so much lowered, but replaced by different cpus at different prices.