PC shuts off then restarts during boot

ChrJohnson02

So recently I tried to connect an internatl CR RW drive to my pc, but when i connected it I tried to start the pc but when it started it would shut right off immediately, then about 3 seconds later restart on its own. but no peripherals such as the keyboard, monitor, or mouse would come on. No beeps coming from the pc. So i disconnected the CD-RW drive, tried to restart and it did the same thing for about 15 minutes. I then unplugged some wires and plugged them back into the motherboard and the pc started back up fine. Anyone know why, i was really worried that i shorted the PC out or messed up the hard drive, but it is up and running now, minus the CD-RW :(

Zatharus

VIP Member
First of all, which cables did you unplug and reconnect to the motherboard? Second, is this a SATA or IDE burner?

ChrJohnson02

IDE, and i dont know, basically after it started to do that i unplugged every cord that connects to the mother board and reconnected them to make sure none were lose, not a single cord everyone one that runs to it. and i have a dell dimension 2400 if that helps, i was thinking maybe putting the burner in overheated the pc, and once it cooled it started up i have no idea. I thought maybe it was a common problem with pc's

StrangleHold

Staff member
Sounds like you might have just knocked a connection loose to start with. Plus since its a IDE, if you have more than one drive on the cable you need to set one as Master and one to Slave by the Jumpers on the back on the drives.

Zatharus

VIP Member
IDE, and i dont know, basically after it started to do that i unplugged every cord that connects to the mother board and reconnected them to make sure none were lose, not a single cord everyone one that runs to it. and i have a dell dimension 2400 if that helps, i was thinking maybe putting the burner in overheated the pc, and once it cooled it started up i have no idea. I thought maybe it was a common problem with pc's

I agree with Stranglehold. It sounds like you just bumped a connector during the install. Adding a drive will not overheat your PC.

Since you have two IDE ports in your computer, are you using the same cable as your hard drive? Are you replacing your original CD drive, or adding a second one?

ChrJohnson02

just trying to add the burner on the same cord as the current cd rom drive, the harddrive is on its own plug. I believe the jumper setting was set to master but. I don't want to try it again since i don't know exactly why it started to not boot properly, and i don't want to have it not start up again,

BeastlyTech

Have you checked to make sure the molex connector is in?
Try narrowing it down to whether or not it has to do with the IDE or molex cable.

Zatharus

VIP Member
just trying to add the burner on the same cord as the current cd rom drive, the harddrive is on its own plug. I believe the jumper setting was set to master but. I don't want to try it again since i don't know exactly why it started to not boot properly, and i don't want to have it not start up again,

With IDE devices, you must have a single Master and Slave device. Your original CD drive is probably set to master. In this case, you will need to set your new drive to be the Slave. Your system/cables may also allow for setting your drives to Cable Select mode (CS). This will allow the device's position on the cable to determine its master/slave status.

bosing

I agree with Zatharus, if you are trying to install it on the same cord, set one as master and the other slave. I usually set my HD as primary and CD as slave(set your drive where the OS is located as primary). There is a diagram for that on the drive itself on how to set it and you will see 6 pins with a small black plastic, like piece of small lego part. If you want to boot to the CD, you can set it thru the bios (boot sequence) to look to the CD drive first before going to your HD.