PCI video card into new mobo

Filter

My sister got a new PC for christmas, and I wanted to help her out by giving her my old video card (geforce FX 5500). It's a prebuilt HP. I'm having a problem though putting my old PCI video card into her motherboard. When I put it in one of the PCI slots, go into my BIOS to change it from integrated to the 5500, the 5500 is nowhere to be found. Shouldn't this computer be able to run a PCI video card? Here are the specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...42&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3633809&lang=en

What do I need to do to make this computer allow the video card?

StrangleHold

Staff member
My sister got a new PC for christmas, and I wanted to help her out by giving her my old video card (geforce FX 5500). It's a prebuilt HP. I'm having a problem though putting my old PCI video card into her motherboard. When I put it in one of the PCI slots, go into my BIOS to change it from integrated to the 5500, the 5500 is nowhere to be found. Shouldn't this computer be able to run a PCI video card? Here are the specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...42&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3633809&lang=en

What do I need to do to make this computer allow the video card?

What do you mean as in nowhere to be found? As in it doesnt boot, nothing on the screen?

Instinct5

trying uninstalling the integrated video card drivers. Also is your monitor hooked into the pci card?

Filter

I spent an hour trying to figure it out... And it seems that the problem is it just doesn't want to work. This computer isn't designed to be run or have the option to be run on a PCI video card, and the video card isn't even supported for vista. I changed the BIOS settings from integrated to PCI, and the computer told me it was there, but because the software isn't for vista, it had an error and couldn't run.

I just need to spend $100 and get a nice PCI x16 video card that will run on vista.

Thanks for the help.

Filter

I put my video card in, changed it back to PCI, rebooted, and tried running that driver software and it told me this:

"The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

Unless someone knows a fix for this, I'm done with this video card o_O.