PCI Xpress

robina_80

you know pci Xpress cards are they backwards compatible with pci cards in otherwords do pci cards work in the pci Xpress slot

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
smitherz said:
pci-express are 16x twice as fast as an AGP 8x there is alot of difference
true but there is no noticeable benefit from the additional bandwidth unless you do a lot of video editing which can make good use of the full duplex bandwidth

Echo_

smitherz said:

those x are different im pretty sure, 16*x and 8*x are not the same x so you are not multiplying by the same thing

Im almost positive AGP 8x is faster i heard it somewhere
not a computer buff but just lil, info

but i could be wrong :cool:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Echo_ said:
those x are different im pretty sure, 16*x and 8*x are not the same x so you are not multiplying by the same thing

Im almost positive AGP 8x is faster i heard it somewhere
not a computer buff but just lil, info

but i could be wrong :cool:

yes, yes you are :) AGP 8x is not as fast as 16x PCIe, the 16x in PCIe means there are 16 PCIe lanes dedicated to transfering data to/from your graphics card

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
will you see a difference wether you get and agp card or a pci Xpress card?
Physically, hell ya.

Man you have gotta start reading and doing research before you make posts.

true but there is no noticeable benefit from the additional bandwidth unless you do a lot of video editing which can make good use of the full duplex bandwidth
The interface supports speeds that are roughly twice that of AGP8X sure ... but two factors kick in:
1. As Cromwell said, there is no benifit for gaming
2. Even for video editing, since video editing is primarily (and almost exclusively CPU/RAM bound having that funky interface wont matter
3. Cards arent capable of chucking data quite that fast .. now when you consider benchmarks and calcautions that say such-and-such card can transfer data at such and such GB/s ... thats all assuming 0cycle calcuation time (i.e., you're measuring the infrastructure speed) ... when you factor in the processing time and such for all the TL and geometry stuff ... it drops real fast :)

Im almost positive AGP 8x is faster I heard it somewhere
In some instances yes but those are really really unfair comparisions and such :)