Pentium D 965 EE

IxBLACKHEARTxI

Hi,I just recently bought a brand new Pentium D 965 EE for $125.Would this processor bottleneck my 8800GT SC? I still haven't put the two together.I'm just wondering if am in for a surprise.Also is this CPU better than a E6300 Core 2Duo?I know the Netburst Cpu's are inferior to the Conroe one's.But I want to know if the top dog Pentium D can take the weak end Core 2 duo?

Pentium D 965 EE 3.73 GHZ Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHZ
1066 FSB VS 1066FSB
Hyper-Threading No Hyper-Threading
65NM,4Mb cache 65NM 2MB cache

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You would need an extra GHz or so to match the e6300, as a guess. As towards the proposed bottleneck, not nearly as much as some, but it might be noticeably apparent in certain CPU intensive games.

So that's an agree.

reddevil6

i don't think it will hold the 8800GT back that much in gaming my dads Pentium D 945 3.4GHz with a 3850 can play crysis on high with no lag.
they OC preaty well got my dads 945 (3.4GHz) to 4.42GHz stable.
but a C2D will deffently be better

hermeslyre

VIP Member
i don't think it will hold the 8800GT back that much in gaming my dads Pentium D 945 3.4GHz with a 3850 can play crysis on high with no lag.
they OC preaty well got my dads 945 (3.4GHz) to 4.42GHz stable.
but a C2D will deffently be better

@4.4ghz it's less of a problem then some would say. Equal to a lower end c2d in certain tasks I would think.

reddevil6

i an not comparing it to a C2D i an saying my dads PD 945 an 3850 can max out all games acepd crysis it plays on high the CPU he is talking about is the same CPU just with higher GHz so it should do the same.
but i do recemend getting a C2D

lovely?

now a 1.8ghz conroe vs a 3. something ghz Pentium D would surely lose? i know conroes are great but they arent so advanced that they are twice as fast per clockspeed are they? and with half the cache im pretty sure the e6300 would lose this one out.

reddevil6

the 6300 will multy task better than the PD's but a 3.7 PD will game better than a 6300.
but a concore at about 2.7GHz+ will game better than a PD 3.7GHz

lovely?

well yeah if you increase the clockspeed, anything past 2.6 would most likely beat out a pentium D. but the e6300 alone cannot do it.