Phenom performs worse than Core 2, clock per clock

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
friggin hell AMD whats up with them?

they are falling behind ALOT....ati cards are not as good as the latest nvidia cards either:confused:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, ATI and AMD are seriously falling behind, all new system builders won't even need to consider ATI or AMD soon...

thealmightyone

Clock for clock, the phenoms are about 15% worse than a Core 2 Quad.

It's only better in memory intensive applications, where the onboard memory controller saves the day.

Overclocking doesn't seem near as good as the Core 2's.

But, the phenoms are going to be priced below the Core 2 Quads. Tomshardware reckon the 9700 is going to cost 13% less than the Q6600, and as it performs 13.6% less, clock for clock, than the Q6600, it's a hard decision to make for the non-overclocker.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
all new system builders won't even need to consider ATI or AMD soon...

yeah thats right dan i dont think they will consider AMDs.

i doubt AMD & Intel will merge like Oscar said though,I mean whats Intel going to gain from it?
theyre already ahead and better than AMD.

Joe2005

If AMD goes banktrupt it will be bad news. No competition for inel means prices will rise and performance will drop.

thealmightyone

The phenom 9500 and 9600 are released tomorrow (9700 in December some time), but probably won't reach the r/etailers in large quantities for a few more weeks.

thealmightyone

I've actually taken the results for the Q6600 and 9700 (as they are both 2.4GHz) from the Tomshardware review, and put them in a easy to read spreadsheet.

Linky.

Makes it much easier to see how it performs, clock for clock, against a Core 2 Quad.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've actually taken the results for the Q6600 and 9700 (as they are both 2.4GHz) from the Tomshardware review, and put them in a easy to read spreadsheet.

Linky.

Makes it much easier to see how it performs, clock for clock, against a Core 2 Quad.

tks for that il d/l right now.

Let's go Intel, I like my electronics integrated, but my micro devices aren't too advanced. (Did anyone catch that?)

AMD is doing just what Intel did when the Athlon vs. Pentium age was present, they are looking over their shoulder at the other company...

I really don't care about stock performance... Does the Phenom have any better overclocking concepts apart from the new AMD program thing?

Last edited:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
IMO, AMD is falling all over their selfs.. im going 45nm january :(

From a glance at these reviews their ability to OC isn't any better than it is now.. i can't stand the thought of running anything under 3Ghz :p

Geoff

VIP Member
If AMD goes banktrupt it will be bad news. No competition for inel means prices will rise and performance will drop.
Exactly. If AMD ever did go bankrupt, there would be no serious competition for Intel, which i'm sure would lead to new processors not being released as quickly as they are now, and who knows how high prices will be.

I'm really waiting for AMD to strike back though, if it ever happens..

jimmymac

VIP Member
AMD wont go bankrupt, even falling behind Intel their profit margins are more than healthy enough. Theres far more to the AMD company than just its home PC processors....

AMD dont have a handle on the performance processors right now. But in all fairness for most of the time the two companies have been about Intel have generally been on top. AMD have always had a handle on the low end market, where budgets are extremely constrained and to be fair to them they still are doing damn well down there.

Geoff

VIP Member
AMD dont have a handle on the performance processors right now. But in all fairness for most of the time the two companies have been about Intel have generally been on top. AMD have always had a handle on the low end market, where budgets are extremely constrained and to be fair to them they still are doing damn well down there.
Well said. With all the talk about how the Core 2 Duo's are better, many seem to forget how cheap the X2's are.

For instance, the E6550 @ 2.33GHz costs $174, whereas the X2 6400+ @ 3.2GHz costs $179.