Phenom vs. BD's performance boost? Gaming and future proofing

Motox20

I know this gets asked, I was waiting for the BD to be released before I really made any final choices on CPU's but it seems the release date got pushed back to September, correct? Anyways I mainly use my comp for gaming, but I also like to multi task a lot, gaming, encoding, several internet windows at once, etc.

I know very few games utilize more than one or two cores, but how long before that changes and it will pay off to have 4+ cores? Also how much of a performance jump is there between say a Phenom II 1100T and a FX-6110?

My biggest concern with my build is future proofing, I'd rather pay extra for something I don't need now but will pay off in the next couple years. That being the case it's probably worth waiting and grabbing the BD and a newer MB. I was considering the FX-8130(p) but not sure if what I do with my comp would see any benefits over a 4 or 6 core. Thoughts?

2048Megabytes

I would look at the AMD FX-4110 Quad-Core as a possible future purchase. The ASUS M5A87 Socket AM3+ Motherboard also looks decent. Get 4 gigabytes of DDR3 1866 memory with it.

Obviously wait until Zambezi is released before buying anything.

ktec

how can anyone answer that if the processor is not released yet?

and as stated by 2048, best to wait. Considering current sandy bridge i5 destroy anything from AMD, and BD should at least hang with SandyBridge, it's safe to say BD will destroy even an 1100t

2048Megabytes

The Intel Core i5 2500K has about 40 percent more processing power over the Phenom II 970 from what I have read. I think Socket AM3+ processors are going to be quite a jump from Phenom II Deneb Core Processors.

jonnyp11

well right now there are a good number of people saying that the people making it that know of its performance are dissapointed and i haven't heard it will be sep but between july and sep, but i haven't checked for stuff tonight so idk, and once bd is out sb-e will be around the corner, then there will be ivy, it would be nice if they both came out with their processors in q1 and 3 or 1nce a year or something.

linkin

VIP Member
Current BD benchmarks are engineering samples, they are not production chips. Some have said that the B0 stepping chips have performance issues (which is fine seeing as they are not going to be retail chips!) and others say that performance is fine, it's the BIOS code that is limiting performance (plausible considering it's a new architecture) and BIOS updates will improve performance, and AMD has delayed BD to get enough chips made, to ship to OEM's.

jonnyp11

yes that's all true but i was saying i read something like 3/4 days ago saying an employee told them that bulldozer was severly lacking in performance at this time and that's the real reason they left bapco. (sysmark), and the bios don't matter if the chip's architecture and layout and all don't work right and do what they need to

StrangleHold

Staff member
yes that's all true but i was saying i read something like 3/4 days ago saying an employee told them that bulldozer was severly lacking in performance at this time and that's the real reason they left bapco.

Makes no sence, since there is no Zambezi B2 retail to test. The B0 and B1 were just ES samples.

Plus it doesnt explain why VIA and Nvidia dropped out too.

It was all about AMD Fusion APU performance. It didnt consider APU acceleration. The reason VIA and Nvidia dropped out too.

Intel doesnt want IGP/GPU performance included because they pretty much suck in that area.

linkin

VIP Member
yes that's all true but i was saying i read something like 3/4 days ago saying an employee told them that bulldozer was severly lacking in performance at this time and that's the real reason they left bapco. (sysmark), and the bios don't matter if the chip's architecture and layout and all don't work right and do what they need to

It's not true. Doing that would lower their share prices, no company goes out of their way to do that. From what I've seen, that article was propaganda.

Nvidia and VIA also left bapco. The sysmark benchmark is tipped to intel CPU's. If you change a VIA's CPU name to "Genuine Intel" it scores higher. It's no wonder why they left.

ktec

in the end a few seconds faster for encoding a video, or 2 second faster Super-PI means how much to people? In real life use, its all negligible.

I wonder how intel and AMD compare and benchmark their chips to each other, because really I think its all a game.

jonnyp11

well just nevermind what i said, i was just pointing out something i saw, and i have heard that thing about the via chips several times before but i don't know what a via chip is other than i'm guessing cpu or gpu but nothing more, i just wish people could just post true things and stop that crap, there's no real point in doing it

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22002

just something thought might be interesting

Last edited: