Please Explain the Use for Tablets Just Inside Your Home- I Don't Get It

Is there any use for Tablets just for your residence (other than e-books) as I don't get the big deal other than for taking it outside your residence as obviously its more mobile than a laptop/notebook. Am I missing something? If so what? Thanks

DMGrier

VIP Member
The only thing I can think is they do offer better battery life and are becoming decent gaming plat forms.

ayan

My brother lives in a campus, and he has a laptop. He often comes to eat at my place, and of course, as a good brother, i really don't mind him at all, so he often brings his android tablet so he can watch something or listen to some music while eating. Another use is, of course, reading material on the toilet. The awesome use seems to be when you are drinking a coffee alone in a coffee saloon and read some blogs, but that's just sad.

strollin

I personally never take my tablet with me when I leave the house. My phone can do everything it can do (plus make phone calls) and is much more portable. I consider my tablet a toy to play with when I have some free time, otherwise I don't have any real use for it.

PohTayToez

I recently got a Kindle Fire and I love it. It's not a laptop replacement, but it's great to use instead when you're just reading/browsing the web. The only real advantages is that it's just more comfortable for reading and it has much better battery life than any laptop.

speedyink

VIP Member
Tablets are so pointless. I bought a galaxy Nexus and just call it a mini tablet. 4.7" is enough for me. I really can't see any benefit to me having a tablet. When I'm not at home the only reason I'd want to bring a secondary device is to do something my phone can't.

Tablets that use x86 chips are excluded (Surface), as they can run all the software I can't on my phone.

DMGrier

VIP Member
This is to funny, I started a thread like this about a year ago and a majority of the people that posted on there were all positive but I guess people are finally pulling there heads out of there a$$e$

Ethan3.14159

The screen size is what makes all the difference when using a tablet. It makes watching videos, reading, and typing far more manageable than using a smartphone. My HTC One X has a 4.7" screen, but there is no way I could use it like a tablet without ripping my hair out.

Tablets are instant-on and have better battery life than most laptops. Not to mention they're much lighter. As a media consumption device they are leagues ahead of laptops. If I want to do serious work, or type page after page, then I'll grab my laptop. But today's tablets put consumption first, productivity second; as they should.

I was as much of a skeptic of tablets as anyone when the iPad was announced. After spending an extended period of time with an iPad I saw it's usefulness and benefits over a laptop for everyday use. Judging by the comments in here, I'd say very few of you have used a tablet for more than 5 minutes at a shop.

I'd rather read my feeds, check websites, and watch videos on a tablet than a laptop any day of the week.

Last edited:

Okedokey

This is to funny, I started a thread like this about a year ago and a majority of the people that posted on there were all positive but I guess people are finally pulling there heads out of there a$$e$

I wasn't ;)... about the same time a lot of the same people were saying the the AMD FX BD range would pants intel.... lol

musicman_426

Tablets are really good for people who are pc illiterate, and don't really have a need for much of anything else other than surfing the web and reading e-mail, and watching movies online (netflix, etc...)

ayan

Yes,.. yet another product, that marketing strategies fooled us into considering a necesity, like bottled water..

Ethan3.14159

Yes,.. yet another product, that marketing strategies fooled us into considering a necesity, like bottled water..
No one said they're a necessity. Everyone accepts the fact that they're secondary/luxury devices. That doesn't mean they aren't useful.

jspears80

Tablets are really good for people who are pc illiterate, and don't really have a need for much of anything else other than surfing the web and reading e-mail, and watching movies online (netflix, etc...)

I consider myself to be very computer literate and I have the "iPad 3". After I jailbroke it I have been able to use it for many administrative purposes. I can access any fileshare on my network remotely and have full remote desktop functionality. I have total access to the filesystem with multiple management apps to fit each situation. I have a terminal that I can run any Linux commands I feel like. I can also hook my iPad up to my TV/projector for presentations. I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

Can tablets replace laptops/desktops? In short, no. But its like asking, "Does a motorcycle replace a truck?" They basically both have the same core functionaility but each have their own perks.

Yes of course these are the obvious uses; Internet, videos, pictures, and books. But iOS has a lot of pretty good apps (far superior than the android market) that really are just fun. Additionally, a bigger screen, better hand gestures are major benefits over handhelds. The #1 use of the iPad for me though personally is learning with all the free educational apps available.

If a your only experience is with low end Android tablets your perspective is limited and does not equate to the experience an iOS tablet provides. Android is a great system but unfortunately it falls victim to the same dilemma Linux and Apple have with desktop systems; that is, the majority of developers make software for Windows. In contrast, most developers make applications for iOS, and it shows.

iPads are just fun. It really is as simple as that. Glorified phones? Maybe, but there are a lot of apps for the iPad that simply don't exist on iPhone/Android. The apps also have different layouts that make a much better user experience than small handhelds. But the bottom line is: I own just about every kind of device that exists and the "iPad 3" is hands down the coolest, most enjoyable device I have ever used.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I use my phone to control my HTPC as well as my TV. Though my TV has to be on before I can connect to it...brilliant eh? :p But at any rate, I could see people using a cheap tablet as a universal remote control if they have compatible devices.

That aside, I guess, as others mentioned, they can be quite capable little net surfers. If you're simply reading feeds or watching some videos, they can be nice to sit back and chill with. I still wouldn't mind getting a Windows-based tablet...