please help new set up wont start.. :(

SAD_DC

ok well I set up my new computer and I thought everything was fine but then when I go to start it up it seems fine then the blueray drive makes a sound like a cd came to a screeching hault and it restarts.... any ideas? I already tried adding thermal paste to the cpu and it did nothing... please help if you have experienced this before let me know, I really want to start using the new rig...

thanks guys.

lawson_jl

Unplug your Blue Ray drive and see if it boots properly. If not you will need to tear the system down and boot bare bones. Then start adding componets one by one to identify the issue.

SAD_DC

omg I was afraid of that... I unplugged both the blueray drive and my other disk drive...

this occurs before I can even see anything on my screen... all that happens is all my fans and cpu fan and my components i.e (fan controllers etc.) power on then I hear a weird sound like the disk drive stops abruptly and it restarts and it keeps doing this. the screen never comes on at this point. :(

any other suggestions??

Zatharus

VIP Member
Before thinking of bad components, it would be worth checking to make sure that you have everything plugged in properly. Verify all motherboard power connections and the soft power and reset switch plugs. You might have a short in the reset switch.

Other than that, it could be a bad power supply. Do you have an older PSU you can use to test?

SAD_DC

I will try an old psu because im certain everything is plugged in correctly......

actually I have a question... this might be irrelevant because the comp turns on but durring the course of the build I managed to cut my power switch cables with pliers but I did "ghetto rig" then back.... as in strip the cable and attach the wiring together and seal with cable tape. it was the power switch cables so I assume it would not be turning on if that was the case...

Zatharus

VIP Member
Well, that could prove to be relevant. How do you power the machine on? From the front panel soft power switch or from the PSU?

SAD_DC

well there plugged in right from what I know... ill post whats plugged into what in a few mins...

SAD_DC

actually.... I think I might have fixed it..... or fried my mobo either or..... because I was testing just the power and I unplugged a bunch of things and then I noticed the cpu power cable from the psu was plugged in to the EATX12 spot on the mobo. I unplugged it and the comp stayed on for more than ten seconds :D I got excited and now to test it with a monitor plugged in.. ill let you guys know.

pfig88

actually.... I think I might have fixed it..... or fried my mobo either or..... because I was testing just the power and I unplugged a bunch of things and then I noticed the cpu power cable from the psu was plugged in to the EATX12 spot on the mobo. I unplugged it and the comp stayed on for more than ten seconds :D I got excited and now to test it with a monitor plugged in.. ill let you guys know.
Awesome! :eek:

Zatharus

VIP Member

:confused: Odd... That should be plugged in...

What motherboard do you have on your new machine?