Please help with CPU upgrade

armysgt1

I have had a 6990 for almost 3 years now and just now have read that my 1100t is most likely bottlenecking it. I have read that the bulldozers in general bottleneck crossfire/sli setups which my card is obviously crossfire. I have noticed that in every game that I own right now I have tested (dead space 3, bf4, grid 2, assassins creed black flag) my gpu usage will not go above roughly 70% on both gpus. However, when I run furmark they are both at 99% always. My three options right now are 1. Get a 4770k and an intel board. 2. Replace my 6990 with a 290x with water block. 3. Get the new generation of amd CPU which would be either a 8320 or 8350 I believe. The last option will definitely be the cheapest but I'm just wondering if that would be the best route to take. My framerates in bf4 are unacceptable (30-120 fps). That is the main reason I want to upgrade my CPU. If anybody has a suggestion please help because I'm going to make my choice this weekend. Thanks

Jiniix

If you want really good FPS in BF4, the R9 290X (make sure it's with a custom PCB - ASUS fx) would perform great with Mantle. Mantle also supports up to 8 core CPUs as far as I know, so either FX-8350 or 4770K would be a good upgrade. Mantle should be out this month for BF4, although that's what they said last month too :)
That said, BF3/4 have great CFX scaling, and my card runs medium-high settings without dipping below 35-40 FPS. Are you running a higher resolution that 1080p? Your card should do more than 2x my card :)

Last edited:

armysgt1

Running at 1080p. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with this game. I have updated and reverted video drivers, updated around drivers, over clocked my 1100t to 3.8. I'll put the game on low and it will still drop to high 20's.