please help with tablet choice

iffy

Right guys, Im gonna ask a question which will probably raise eyebrows!

I need a tablet that will do everything a laptop will.

Basically I spend a lot of time in the car due to work. During this time I can get on with a lot of office work for my other business. I have a laptop I use in the car, but it's 5 years old and very bulky (on a seperate note, dell is a good brand. Never had a problem eith my laptop of any sort) so practicality is somewhat limited.

I therefore would like a tablet that would allow me to access my office system, do word processing, surf the web etc. If I buy a less bulky laptop, I have to run the battery of the laptop on an inverter through the cigarette lighter. This uses a lot of power. So I figure a tablet is the way forward. Any suggestionsso that I can achieve this? Also as an extra, I would like to be able to use win xp on the tablet.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What you're looking for isn't very practical. It's more of a money waster than it is efficient.

First off, you won't find a TABLET running XP, you'll be looking for a SLATE PC. Now, the slates that run XP are old and quite outdated, slow etc. these days (Motion Computing slates for example).

You could get a full fledged new slate PC running Windows 7, but be prepared to spend $1,000+, and you don't even get a keyboard with it.

I say invest in a smaller, lightweight, ultra-portable new Dell Latitude, such as an E5430 or E6230. If you're set on wanting a slate, look into the Latitude 10.

iffy

I think I will go for your recommendation. Looks like it will be the most practical and viable solution

asliaadmi

Microsoft is targeting users like you with its Surface tablets. We know that android and ipads are good for nothing except playing games and web browsing. It would make sense if you go with Surface, running on windows RT. However, you can also go for surface pro, running full windows 8, which will out now.

iPad and other tablets = kids' pc
Surface and surface pro= your dad's PC

strollin

Microsoft is targeting users like you with its Surface tablets. We know that android and ipads are good for nothing except playing games and web browsing. It would make sense if you go with Surface, running on windows RT. However, you can also go for surface pro, running full windows 8, which will out now.

Wow! That's a gross oversimplification.

iffy

I'll check that one asliadmi. On a separate note, I looked at your username twice before I figured it out. Lol

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Wow! That's a gross oversimplification.

I agree.

I haven't tried Surface myself. I'd prefer the Pro version so you could install x86 and x64 software on it, but the pricetag is crazy and not worth it. I'd rather buy a laptop for that price.

paulcheung

I agree.

I haven't tried Surface myself. I'd prefer the Pro version so you could install x86 and x64 software on it, but the pricetag is crazy and not worth it. I'd rather buy a laptop for that price.

That suppose to be a laptop with detachable keyboard and touch screen, right?:cool:

I'd have to disagree. I use my iPad mini on a daily basis in my line of work (IT consultant). Yes, while there are a couple shortcomings that a good jailbreak could fix, I find that the majority of things can be handled with the huge selections of apps available through the app store.

I've used the Surface RT and while I can't speak for the Surface Pro (which should be a much more capable device) the Surface RT is fairly useless. The app selection is limited and the only thing really useful on there is the full suite of Office. Although Surface Pro should be much better as it has the ability to run full windows applications, the cost might make it not worth it.

OP, if you spend a lot of time in the car and need a more simplified interface to use, go ahead and try an iPad. I'm not sure what applications you use for work but they might all be functional on mobile safari. If you want Windows XP, pick up a slightly used slate PC online and use it in conjunctions with an inverter to keep it powered in the car.

iffy

been looking at tablets and pc's. I think the best for me is to buy a second hand mini laptop which is costing around £100 and maybe an asus tablet. That will cover both tasks for me. However how upgradeable are the mini laptops and tablets?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Netbooks aren't upgradable except for the RAM, and most max out at 2GB.