Point Domain name to Personal web server (Newbie)

Gibson

Hi,

I'm learning about how to setup servers as I want to purchase a Dedicated server but no nothing about them!

I have installed Windows server 2008/ PHP/ASP/JAVA etc and managed to get it connected to the internet via my IP address and also doing FTP...I Learnt that yesterday so I feel I'm doing well :)

Now I want to point a domain to my IP address but I can't make head or tale of any of the online help!!!!

I am using UKREG.com as my domain registerers if thats any help :)

Many thanks
Joe

ROFLcopter

What are you trying to use this server for? If you're trying to host a webserver you will have to get your domain registered. You will also have to add DNS somewhere in there(on your local server or through someone else).

Gibson

Hi,

Thanks for the replies :)

Well basically (as i said above) I'm trying to learn about servers as Im needing to purchase a dedicated server. I will be using it for Filemaker 11 Server advanced and hosting some websites from it aswell.

I have (to my best ability) setup IIS7 and when I type my IP address in it shows the site on the internet and also connects Filemaker aswell :) I have got basics FTP working also.

Now I want to point my domain (Cubasics.com) to my IP address. I have tried going to my proper hosting company and he said this -

You can add the domain to your existing hosting in Helm and use the DNS Zone Editor to point the domain to the IP address of the server. This will allow the domain to use our 4 DNS servers and point to your server elsewhere.

I have tried what he said but it still doesnt work so I'm guessing im doing something wrong at my end?

I also tried the dyndns.com and that did the same aswell :(

Hope you can help
Many thanks
Joe

pym

I think we need to get a little basic information.

Do you have a fixed public IP address? If you do, you should know it, since you would probably have had to have paid extra for it.

If you have a dynamic ip address port-forwarded from your modem/router, which would be normal for a home connection, then you'll need to use dynamic DNS.

Dynamic DNS will require a couple things.

1. You'll have to register your domain name at dyndns. I use the dyndns, but I use one of their freely supplied subdomains: myname.presetname.net. Using your own paid domain name may be a premium service; I'm not sure. You'll need to check.

2. You'll have to download the dyndns updater agent to your server. Since the server is running windows, it should be straight-forward. Install the updater, give it your dyndns account logon credentials. See that it's running and gives a message saying that it's successfully updated. Reboot and make sure that the updater starts automatically.

At that point, you should be able to point a browser toward the domain name and load the webpage.