poor download speeds

callum44

i have recently purchased a new sony vaio laptop(vgn fe31h) with a respectable spec. however after attempting to download music, etc my download rate does not exceed 30kb/s despite my 8meg broadband. my roeuter incidently is the bt home hub. could some one please please give any suggestions as to why this could be. i share a house with two other workstations so it is possible that my bandwidth has been capped.
please help, as very frustrating thank you

callum44

yes i am wireless. however i have seen on similiar networks with laptops of equal spec speeds reached in excess of 100kb/s. the 30kb/s i am receiving seems just to slow.

Nini

are you wireless, becuase wireless is usualy ALOT slower then being connected by a cord

Well yea but he has 8mb ..and me with 6mb i get 800kbps downloads on wireless

It also greatly depends on which site you are getting the download from

computerhakk

VIP Member
If every other wireless connection works well, try to see if your vaio have a firmware upgrade for your wireless a/b/g card.

hells3000

i have recently purchased a new sony vaio laptop(vgn fe31h) with a respectable spec. however after attempting to download music, etc my download rate does not exceed 30kb/s despite my 8meg broadband. my roeuter incidently is the bt home hub. could some one please please give any suggestions as to why this could be. i share a house with two other workstations so it is possible that my bandwidth has been capped.
please help, as very frustrating thank you

Where are you downloading from?

Do you have a firewall in your router?

If so maybe you have to open a portal.

www.Portforward.com

go to common portals if it's common

duh :D

callum44

i am using bittorrent to download as well as limewire. it seems strange that both max out at 30kbs. however during the night when i leave my laptop on and the only process running is bittorrent my speeds increase greatly up to 200kbs.
my internet connection is not limited incidently

soccerdude

There might be a cap. Check your router settings and see if there is one. If there is, just disable it and that should make it work.