Possible hard drive failure, need second opinion

I booted up my Acer X3960 and it started as normal with a new hard drive installed by PC World. I left my mate on it and he informed me it blue screened. I rebooted it and continued to use it as normal and experienced another blue screen within 5 minutes. When trying to reboot again, I got the "Insert boot media and press enter" message and I never got past it. It's what I put the machine into PC world for repair under warranty previously twice. This is the third time this exact problem has happened. I'm assuming a faulty batch of hard drives. The PC is now outside it's warranty, A new hard drive from my own source seems appropriate. What do you think? :eek:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have had multiple hard drives go bad in this machine then I suspect there is an issue with the machine itself and not the hdd's. Does the bios detect the HDD? What brand of hard drive is it? If its a toshiba or hitachi drive, they are crap anyways.

Quickpaw

Have anybody ever think about the HD cable sometimes? They go bad also, not very often but they do.

Seconded. Try with a different SATA cable, and change ports on the mobo if possible for good measure.
If you can change to a different power connector as well that'd be bonus.

Try reinstalling windows with those changes and see if it still gives BSOD.

Pre-manufactured units do use low quality drives though, and they'd generally use the same models under warranty replacement, so its not impossible that the drive is to blame again. I've seen this happen before.

Well basically, I used different Ports and different SATA cables, sadly I had no other Hard disk to test. The BIOS did not detect the hard drive both times. I ALWAYS hear the drive read for a split second every time I power on but only for a split second and then nothing at all. The hard drive was made by seagate.

Last edited: