Price drop on PS3

MasterEVC

Price drop is not permenant.. as said here on 1up

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161297

E3 2007: Sony Confirms PS3 Price Cut Only Temporary

Sony Europe spoils surprise, America says it's true.
By Patrick Klepek, 07/13/2007

UPDATE: As a follow-up to this announcement, we asked SCEA about how potential customers might feel ripped off, given the $499 phaseout. Here's what they told us:
"We are offering the full-function 60GB PS3 for $100 less than the original price and we have ample supply to meet consumer needs for months. We think this is great news for the PlayStation fans. Throughout the remainder of the year, we will constantly be evaluating market conditions and will develop strategies to further meet the needs of consumers in this market."​
ORIGINAL STORY: Sony Computer Entertainment America announced Monday the price cut in America was official. Sort of. PlayStation 3 launched with $499 and $599 SKUs (for the 20GB and 60BG machines, respectively). SCEA removed the 20GB SKU in April, but now the $499 is back due to a price cut and the $599 is coming back with a copy of MotorStorm and 80GB of hard drive space. Confused? Today, it gets worse.
It all starts because of Sony's European branch. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe President David Reeves told GamesIndustry.biz the $499 SKU will be phased out once the stock on shelves is gone. "All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July," he said.

Wait, maybe he misspoke. Maybe he didn't realize what America was doing. And maybe Kaz Hirai can clarify what's going on with Scandinavian TV show VG TV (as noticed by Next Gen). "[We do not] have a two-SKU strategy in the U.S.; We learned very quickly customers respond better to having one SKU than two. We dropped the price on the 60GB model -- as you know, that model is no longer in production [and] once it's no longer on store shelves it will just be the $600 SKU," said Hirai. When two executives let things slip, there's a problem. So, is it true? SCEA confirmed to 1UP this morning that the phaseout is happening.
"The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."​
What the heck is going on? Good question.

And M$ will have some price cuts as well:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26511

$80 off Elite, $50 off Premium models to maintain pricing advantage

Last edited:

TheOrangeDude

guys better hurry while supply last :O. and screw the 80, for the extra 20g and that crappy Dirt like games I have to pay extra 100USD/110CDN is totally bullcrap.

MasterEVC

Think about the price difference here. They are charging $100 more for 2 things:

$60 game
20GB larger HDD

I looked on Newegg and the price difference between a 60GB and a 80GB SATA 2.5" drive is about $30.. now do the math

60 + 30 = 90

How are they able to charge $100 more when the actual price difference is about $90, they are making you pay more.

TheOrangeDude

Think about the price difference here. They are charging $100 more for 2 things:

$60 game
20GB larger HDD

I looked on Newegg and the price difference between a 60GB and a 80GB SATA 2.5" drive is about $30.. now do the math

60 + 30 = 90

How are they able to charge $100 more when the actual price difference is about $90, they are making you pay more.

Not to mention there is no more EEchip with the new 80, they save up even more. I thought sony is being good once to its customer but guess I'm wrong. :(

XxSNIPERxX

banned

$60 game
20GB larger HDD

60 + 30 = 90

theres only one answer.. their Sony, they have a nack for ripping people off :D

WestC07

It's called business. They money they're losing on the 60GB model, they're going to try to make up for from uninformed consumers in the 80GB model.

Also keep in mind, they produce the PS3, and hold the rights to the game... that "uprade" probably only costs them about $30.

brian

VIP Member
i should of waited! buy the wii first and then buy the ps3. i mean there is nothing out in moding it. mostly just run linux :p. slowly

MasterEVC

Not to mention there is no more EEchip with the new 80, they save up even more. I thought sony is being good once to its customer but guess I'm wrong. :(

EE = Emotion Engine? Does that mean it wont play PS2 games anymore?

If so they are really ripping off their customers... typical Sony.. not caring about the customers, only the money they recieve from them :rolleyes:

TheOrangeDude

EE = Emotion Engine? Does that mean it wont play PS2 games anymore?

If so they are really ripping off their customers... typical Sony.. not caring about the customers, only the money they recieve from them :rolleyes:

yup, for now on 80 will be like pal version of ps3 which using software emulation to play ps2 and ps1 games. You can still play ps1 and ps2 game but ofcourse it wouldn't be as good as playing it throught hardware directly. They have major issue with the backward compatbility with the pal version (aka the up coming 80G version) of PS3 right now. Alot of the ps1 and ps2 games just wouldn't run. Thats why I suggest people to buy the 60G right now.

MasterEVC

yup, for now on 80 will be like pal version of ps3 which using software emulation to play ps2 and ps1 games. You can still play ps1 and ps2 game but ofcourse it wouldn't be as good as playing it throught hardware directly. They have major issue with the backward compatbility with the pal version (aka the up coming 80G version) of PS3 right now. Alot of the ps1 and ps2 games just wouldn't run. Thats why I suggest people to buy the 60G right now.
Or just not waste their money at all.

Its funny how they knocked on M$ for using software emulation on the 360 to play original xbox games, now they are using the software emulation themselves :rolleyes:

Sony never ceases to amaze me anymore