System specs:
Specs:
Core i5-2500k
GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H
Sapphire Radeon 7950 1000 MHz OC edition
PCPC Silencer MK 950W PSU
Hyper 212 EVO

The vcore I set was 1.3v and the OC was 4.4 GHz

Are they good? Explain please. Thanks. :)

spirit

Staff member
Yep it is pretty high. What cooling are you using for your 2500K? My 2500K overclocked to 4.3GHz hits around 50-60C at 100% load with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 cooler.

spirit

Staff member
Opps sorry didn't see it.

You can try lowering your vcore a bit (maybe to 1.28 or 1.29v) and see if that lowers your temperatures whilst maintaining stability. How hot is the CPU running at idle? It's not a big problem that it's hitting 70C at full load, because remember it will hardly ever be running at full load.

spirit

Staff member
Idling mid-to-high 30s is fine, mine's about 35C give or take a couple of degrees at idle and yeah lowering the voltage won't help that much but it will produce a tad less heat. I'd say at full load, 75C or over is too high, and at idle, with a cooler like your's, anything above the 40/45C mark would start to worry me. On the stock coolers though, 45C at idle is pretty normal.

spirit

Staff member
Is it constantly running at 4.4GHz or have you got it set to underclock to around 1.6GHz at idle and then overclock to 4.4Ghz when you need the extra power?

spirit

Staff member
I'm not sure if the Gigabyte boards allow this feature or not, I can't remember if it's a CPU feature or a board feature either. :/ I believe the feature is called Intel SpeedStep technology, have a look in your BIOS for it. You want to make sure your C1E Reporting is turned on as well.

azeem40

Whenever I check my speed, it says turbo speed is 4.4 GHz and the non-turbo speed is 3.3 GHz, but Idk how to turn off turbo speed. I did click disable but it still says turbo speed is 4.4 GHz and not non-turbo speed.

spirit

Staff member
Make sure Intel SpeedStep is enabled, that will underclock your CPU to 1.6GHz when you're doing non-CPU intensive tasks.