Print Spooler Won't Keep Running

cpu1

Hi all.

I was having trouble with my printer a while back and finally figured out that this was due to the print spooler not running.

Well, I went into services and set it to "automatically" run (it was on "manual"). It will work for like a day (even if I shut-down and restart), but then it reverts back to manual after a day to a few days.

It never did this before. Can you guys help me get it back to normal?

Thanks a lot!

Troncoso

VIP Member
Just like johnb talked about in the other thread, you should re installl Windows. Whether it be from a recover partition or a disk. If you tell us the model of your computer, we can help you out.

cpu1

hp g60 235dx.

I'd like to be able to fix this without a reinstall if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.

cpu1

Sorry to get back so late.

I deleted everything EPSON in my computer and re-installed the drivers from the disk that came with the printer.

The spooler still reverts back to manual after a day or two.

However, I did run an update-check and it found updated drivers for the printer and scanner, so I installed them today, reset the spooler to automatic, and we'll see how it goes.

cpu1

I restarted my computer about 5 times, and the spooler stayed on automatic. Now, I just checked it and it says it's "started" but that it's now manual.

Apparently, there's something wrong with my spooler.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go back into services and make sure that Remote Procedure Call is set to automatic as well.

Also do you have the install cd for whatever Operating system you are running? If so you can run sfc /scannow and see if that fixes anything.

What operating system do you have?

cpu1

Go back into services and make sure that Remote Procedure Call is set to automatic as well.

Also do you have the install cd for whatever Operating system you are running? If so you can run sfc /scannow and see if that fixes anything.

What operating system do you have?

Remote Procedure Call is on auto, but Remote Procedure Call Locator is on manual, should I set this to auto?

Also, I'm on vista and don't have a disk.

Thanks for your advice.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Mine isn't started and I can print. You may be forced to do a fresh install of windows, unfortunately.

pane-free

I would go to Regedit and check consistencies and correctness of the following before a reinstall (mine is Win7)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Spooler
start REG_DWORD (2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\HP Deskjet 6980 series\DsSpooler
printSpooling REG_SZ PrintAfterSpooling

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini\Windows
Spooler REG_SZ SYS:MICROSOFT\\WINDOWSNT\\CURRENTVERSION\\WINDOWS

cpu1

I would go to Regedit and check consistencies and correctness of the following before a reinstall (mine is Win7)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Spooler
start REG_DWORD (2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\HP Deskjet 6980 series\DsSpooler
printSpooling REG_SZ PrintAfterSpooling

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini\Windows

I apologise if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by "consistencies and correctness"?

What exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks for the clarification.

pane-free

I apologise if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by "consistencies and correctness"?

What exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks for the clarification.

Yours is not a dumb question, as MS has kept the Registry somewhat hidden from Users.

If one has not studied the Windows Registry at some point in the past, it is difficult to explain, but look below to get an idea of that of which alluded to in previous post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.techbytes.ca/techbyte74.html

While the system is live the service information is kept in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services. Each service and driver is listed under its own key.

0 Boot
1 System
2 Automatic
3 Manual
4 Disabled

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See
here
in which Nicolaj Rasmussen posted, on 23 Nov 2006 @ 0357, a response to B Lazarus'
"Print spooler service crashing, in the Printing forum on BrianMadden.com" pertinent to your question
Path

named in key

is consistent within the registry itself.

Registry varies a little between the differing Windows OS -- suggest finding a book on the particular one being used.

Best wishes!

cpu1

Thanks a lot for your clarification. I will go through the registry when I get a chance and let you know what I find.

Thanks again.

cpu1

Hi, I read your articles (and learned a lot!) and checked all of the keys you mentioned and everything checks out OK.

However, I uninstalled Office a while back and I think it's the remnants of the One Note program that still exist that are causing me problems. I will look into them futhur and post the outcome.