Problem loading Windows XP

tmcksmith

I am trying to help out someone with their computer...

I haven't actually been able to go look at it yet, but the person is describing the problem like this:

Whenever she turns on her computer, the system tries to load Windows XP - the XP screen appears, and then the computer restarts. It appears to be stuck in some sort of continuous loop. Any idea what the problem is here? What can I do to fix this?

Lordmord

Can you get your friends to copy what on the boot.ini file and post it in here.
Below is what the boot.ini should look like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Jerkstore

also check the power button...a sticky power button will turn on and then turn off after 5 seconds, if it's a fast computer then chances are it takes about that long to get into the windows boot screen

try switching the power button jumpers with the reset button jumpers and using the reset switch to power on and see if it still does the same thing

tmcksmith

She mentioned that she had been having trouble with her hard drive, i think what she's trying to do now is just re-install or repair windows, but even when she puts in the Windows XP disc it still goes through that 'loop'

StrangleHold

Staff member
tmcksmith said:
She mentioned that she had been having trouble with her hard drive, i think what she's trying to do now is just re-install or repair windows, but even when she puts in the Windows XP disc it still goes through that 'loop'
She needs to boot to the CD instead of going into windows and restarting, have you tried starting in safe mode

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Power supply, maybe? If you can, check the voltages just to be sure (I don't think it would be a power problem, but I don't discount the possibilty).