Problem with my laptop - Am new sorry :)

dragon001

Hey guys and girls. Am new to your forum here and i have a question i would like to ask i apologize if this is the wrong section.;)

Okay, coming up to Christmas last year i bought myself a Sony Vaio VGN FW31e laptop. OS Vista Home Premium 32bit and pre-installed software. I dont like Vista and want to install the good old Windows XP Pro Edition. I poped in the disc and it stated normal. Aften loading the drivers "Setup is starting Windows" i get a BSOD it always happens. :(

Any help would appreciated, best regards.

dragon001

P.S
Please reply if you have a solution for me thanks again;)

Last edited:

laptopfan76

Ah the dreaded BSOD, more prevalent than anyone would wish, sorry to hear that your laptop computer operating system is afflicted This article is a great place to start in tracking down your specific cause, it doesn't go through the endless possibilities but makes effective and practical troubleshooting suggestions - pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1647
Mandy
HP

Last edited:

dragon001

Thanks for your reply i'll check the site. And yeah Vista really sucks in my opinion very buggie i hate that account control thing that pops every time you luanch an app or something else. XP rules:D

G25r8cer

^^ Xp does rule versus Vista but versus Win7 is another story. Chances are that if you laptop came loaded with Vista then, there is no drivers for XP. I say your best bet is to buy yourself a copy of Win7.

kc-atl

You will have to do a clean install, but you must go into bios and set it up to do "OS install Mode" to limit the amount of ram during the install. This could be your problem..

G25r8cer

You will have to do a clean install, but you must go into bios and set it up to do "OS install Mode" to limit the amount of ram during the install. This could be your problem..

What? Why would you have to limit the amount of ram?

OP: Disregard this post

saba.jamalian

Can you please explain WHY !? I cant understand :-?

kc-atl

saba, some of the older os's will not install with more than 512mb of ram. this is why there is an OS Install Mode. Vista/7 works fine with 3GB which is what i have. I had to use the OS Install Mode, a while back to do a clean install of XP. Aslo you need to make sure that you setup bios to boot from your cd drive first not the hdd.

Bodaggit23

Thanks for your reply i'll check the site. And yeah Vista really sucks in my opinion very buggie i hate that account control thing that pops every time you luanch an app or something else. XP rules:D

Yeah, that pesky "UAC" stopping all those viruses and trojans from installing on your pc.

You're right, XP will let them right on through. :rolleyes:

Anyway dragon, your computer manufacturer probably never meant for XP to run on
that hardware, so they probably don't have the correct drivers. Therefore, SOL.

saba.jamalian

kc-atl, thanks. Just one question, it is definitely possible to rechange the size of RAM to its normal mode after the installation, right? and will the windows recognize all of it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The solution would be, is that you will need the sata controller driver at the beginning of windows installation for it to actually see the drive. More than likely the contoller is set to ahci in the bios and its possible to set it to ide mode and then it will allow the installation to see it. If there is no ide mode setting then you will need the controller driver, and most likely you will need to slipstream that into a new install cd using Nlite. You will get the blue screen without this driver.

kc-atl

kc-atl, thanks. Just one question, it is definitely possible to rechange the size of RAM to its normal mode after the installation, right? and will the windows recognize all of it?

Yea, after install just go back in to Bios and take it out of Install OS Mode. and it will change the amount of ram back to what you have..