Problem

bigrich0086

I reinstalled windows on a guys computer. All went well. But i did wire management as they were all over from the other guy who built it. All was well closed the case up now only thing that tuns on is the fans and gfx fan turns on. green light is on on the mobo and the green light on in the Ethernet port.

Once i turn it on im the cd roms start blinking like thier loading something. I hear no beeps anywhere.

The monitor light stays orange. So i pluged his gfx card into my computer and same thing. So i then took my 4870 put it in his computer then the monitor clicked and the light turned green for a second then right back to orange. What is causing this. I was running fine untill i turned it off to do the wires.

I even unplugged all wires from everything and re did them and still NOTHING. Screen will not turn on.

bigrich0086

I think the reason the hd4870 made the monitors light green then back to orange was cause i didnt put in the 2 6 pin power plugs since his psu didnt have it. How can i figure out if the gfx is bad when the fan on it spins.

Pleeeease!

Ok, so somewhere something went terribly south. It's hard to diagnose since this is going to be one of those issues where if you weren't there . . . just knowing stuff isn't working is not enough info.

If someone gave me a computer in this condition I would start back with the basics. Unplug EVERYTHING, leaving only: the power chord to the tower, the power supply to the motherboard, the video cable to the monitor, and a mouse and keyboard. If it does it then there's three options: 1. bad mobo or cpu 2. bad wiring to the power button and hdd led lighting 3. bad power supply.

Good luck.

bigrich0086

i tried 2 different power supplies and same thing. tired a differend gfx card same thing. once i press power button on the case everything fires up but no signal to the monitor at all. In all my years i never seen this happen ever.

bigrich0086

well i came to the conclusion its either the mobo or the gfx card. even when i put in my 4870 the screen clicked over but didnt stay on long enough to see a screen.

When i did the wire management i didnt unplug anything. i just tucked behind the back side. Power was un-pluged.

Pleeeease!

I think you're right. Could be the card or mobo, either way. Replacement time.

If I had to guess I'd say that some point during the messing of the wires something came just slightly undone. It was enough to create a spark and overload on something. I think the lesson is always check the connections one last time.

bigrich0086

well i now need to let the guy know the new price for a mobo cpu and ram now. im not gonna get a gfx card cuz this one might still be good but ill get a mobo that has onboard just incase.

bigrich0086

well guys i went over the wires once more pushing them in harder and the wire that fixed all this mess was the 4pin cpu power wire. Once i did that everything booted up right away. SO i guess with me tucking wires away i pulled the wire just enough where it wasnt getting power to cpu.

bigrich0086

This is the computer before wire management and then after. as you can see it was ugly and still ugly after wires are tucked away.
Its very dirty.
100_2585.jpg

100_2586.jpg

100_2588.jpg

100_2589.jpg

lulumara

Checked if your DVI or vga connections are in placed it happens once on me ,there's no video in monitor and graphic card is not seated properly. Oh sorry you got your computer to work didn't see the last replied you had.

bigrich0086

Yea thanks. Its not my computer at all. Im doing it for a friend who is a tattoo artist. He said fix and get the computer running and ill get a tattoo of my choice no more than 6 hours of work.

I told him the wire that is loose and ill show him in case it does it again so he can wiggle it like i did. I dont see that being a problem as its been running since i got it up flawlessly.

So now the tattoo will be well worth it.