Problems with sharing a connection, help please

struby

So I live in an appartment, and I have comcast internet, when we first got here the connection was great, I'd be all happy playing my cs:source, now I finally get decent at the game, and my roomate goes back to playing Diablo 2 and has a bot running and got a laptop and my latency is all rediculously bad sometimes now. Is there any way I can give my computer priority for the connection or just like make it better. we have a pretty new modem cuz we just got the cable a few months ago and a basic wired linksys router, thanks.

struby

hmm

they seam decent, like not extraordinarity low or high, but what can I do about it besides complain to him?

Technogab

So I live in an appartment, and I have comcast internet, when we first got here the connection was great, I'd be all happy playing my cs:source, now I finally get decent at the game, and my roomate goes back to playing Diablo 2 and has a bot running and got a laptop and my latency is all rediculously bad sometimes now. Is there any way I can give my computer priority for the connection or just like make it better. we have a pretty new modem cuz we just got the cable a few months ago and a basic wired linksys router, thanks.

It depends on the router you are using. But most Linksys routers will allow you to prioritize packets. You can basically have packets destined for your computer to have a higher priority than his. This would ensure that your connection runs fast. Login to the router and look at the options. You should see a section for setting the priority (depends on model router). Some people do this for Skype or other VOIP packets so that the calls do not get dropped or break up under heavy usage.

struby

Ok

Ok, well I looked up how to log into my router and I did, thanks, but I don't know what to do from there, do those upgrades cost money, how can I control the packets and stuff that will help me?

Geoff

VIP Member
Some routers allow you to set a priority for each computer. So you could set your PC as #1, so all day from your computer is routed first, then every other user comes after. They have that option on some Linksys boxes.

computerhakk

VIP Member
Ok, well I looked up how to log into my router and I did, thanks, but I don't know what to do from there, do those upgrades cost money, how can I control the packets and stuff that will help me?
What model is your linksys?
You might have to look into or for an "Access Restriction" tab. There you will see where you can restric certain pc. You might have to look for an "Edit list of PCs" and there, enter your buddies ip address. This, of course saying that you gave you and your buddie set ip address and not have it automatic detect each time they get online.

struby

?

I found an ethernet port priority, is that it?

this is the page as best as i could copy and paste it, also, would putting in cs as an application priority work, i dunno what to do

QoS
Enable Disable
Upstream bandwidth Kbps

Device Priority

Priority MAC Address

Device Name
- - - - -

Device Name
- - - - -

Ethernet Port Priority

Priority Flow Control Incoming Rate Limit

Port 1