Processor Upgrade

BarePaw

My computer is fairly fast for what I do, but I can still slow it down by running several programs. I started running Tinyresmeter while running several things on my computer to see where my weaknesses were. It always shows the CPU usage maxed out before anything else. I currently have a 2.2 GHz AMD Athalon processor. I've been looking at some of the newer processors that fit my motherboard (939 socket). Would a 2.2 GHz dual core processor like this one be an improvement over the one I have? Is it really like having, 2 separate 2.2 GHz processors in one, or is this some sort of gimmick?

eric92park

OverClock it, if you know how to do it, then use it for a while then buy it,

OR

Just buy it, it really doesnt matter...
but It will improve system performance because it has more L2 Cache plus its dual core....
And Dual core is like 2.2GHz X 1.8~2(to be exact) so its definetly faster... So your GHz of CPU will be about 4~4.4GHz
Also, it will use more power...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
eric92park - What are you trying to say? If you're saying dual core is double the performance, that is NOT true. You will only get more performance in multi-threaded applications or multitasking.

BarePaw

You will only get more performance in multi-threaded applications or multitasking.

So where I am trying to do several different things at once and I try to open firefox, but it won't open or takes forever, that is where a dual core processor would help. Am I correct?

So where I am trying to do several different things at once and I try to open firefox, but it won't open or takes forever, that is where a dual core processor would help. Am I correct?

how many things exactly do you run at once before slow down?
i can run my web browser(avant) , my mercury tv card , windows live messenger , skype , shareaza(file sharing)and it still performs fine... and i'm using a socket 754 sempron 2800+ with 1.5ghz of ram. !! if you are burning a dvd for example, that will raise the ram usage and cpu a bit more than normal.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yes, a dual core processor would help you. However, I'd also take into consideration how much RAM you have... If you only have say 512MB RAM, adding more would probably be almost as beneficial as going dual core... Or going dual core with very little RAM may cause no perforamce increase. Oh yes, and the typical "too many processes" could definetly slow your computer down.

BarePaw

Yes, a dual core processor would help you. However, I'd also take into consideration how much RAM you have... If you only have say 512MB RAM, adding more would probably be almost as beneficial as going dual core... Or going dual core with very little RAM may cause no perforamce increase. Oh yes, and the typical "too many processes" could definetly slow your computer down.

I have 2GB RAM. According to the meter, I max out the CPU Usage and still have plenty of RAM left.