progam files

lews123

hi my friend recently wiped my laptop, however when he backed up my programs he went into my computer then into program files and simply dragged the files onto a dvd disk.

the one program i am trying to reinstall is adobe photo shop, could anyone tell me if there if a method to do it? the program file size on disk is 800mb

kimsland

You can't just back up Program Files
When a program gets installed, there are many registry additions; there are some files that go to the Windows folder, and the rest of the to your profile

You are best to install this program again properly (either CD, or download the trial version or something)

PC Hobbyist

kimsland is right - so check his post.

I just wanted to add, that in the future, if you plan on doing something on your laptop that might wipe it, then you should use a program like Acronis True Image to create a backup image of your entire drive (i.e. operating system, drivers, installed programs etc). Then, if you end up wiping out the drive (or if your hard drive dies on you one day), you can simply restore the entire contents of the partition by restoring your backup file. However, even Acronis cannot just backup "only your programs". It will back up everything on the drive. But, you would be up and running with everything in 20 minutes.