PS2 on Monitor

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Ok, for as techy as I am, I've no idea what exactly is needed to set it up so I can have my PS2 (and eventually Xbox as well) output to my computer monitor.

Is it as simple as a TV tuner card? I've been considering getting one for a while since I have the cable modem in my office and I can just split the coax off before it hits the modem.

Can anyone tell me what I'll need to make it happen?

Thanks!

brinky2006

I have got a tuner card in my PC. It works, but I didnt get fantastic quality and I soon didnt bother to use it. At $16 it could be worth a try however.

Adam

EDIT- If you have an XBOX 360 elite, Im sure that you can use a HDMI - DVI cable.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I don't need super-great quality or lots of features. I just want to play PS2 and Xbox via my office and watch TV on my monitor. So one of those cards will do the trick, yes?

vonfeldt7

Be careful though, depending on your TV Tuner Card, and computer...the content you view on your screen may not be real time. My computer (Athlon X2 5000+, 2 GB RAM @ 667mhz, 8800GT) and this TV Tuner Card wouldn't work with my 360. The content I viewed on my monitor was around 2-3 seconds delayed.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
^9 & ^10

No 360 plans whatsoever. Definitely a PS3, but only when the new FF is released (and it will be kept in my office, away from the wife, for as long as possible :D ).

Don't even care too much about lag or live TV. My basic use will be fore PS2 and possibly Xbox. I can deal with a 2-3 second lag. Only thing I'll watch on it (aside from PS2) is hockey and History Channel.

I'm going to order one of those basic cards tomorrow. For +/-$25 shipped, I've nothing to lose, correct?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You do realize when we say we mean *press a* ... ... ... *jump*. For live TV, the buffer lag is fine as you obviously can't tell any difference. However, when you're trying to interact with something(IE a game) and whatever you see is 2-3 seconds behind the "live action" it's hard to actually play.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Ahhh, I get it :) Well, I'll give it a shot anyway. One of the reviews mentioned a different model working fine with PS2, so I'll try that one and hope for the best. It'll just be a novelty for me, not something I'm going to go all-out on. Thanks for the advice!

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Ok, so I got this card:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815276002 and installed it.

Remote works, Cable works, PS2 works, but sound is odd. Right now I have the tuner card outputting to my LCD's pathetic mono-speakers, and my good speakers output from the MoBo's on-board sound.

I tried feeding the Card's Audio Out to the MoBo's Audio In, and the MoBo's Audio Out to the Card's Audio In - both nothing. I think I've tried every combination and I cannot get everything to come out of my good speakers. Suggestions, please?

Also, my PS2 video is fine, but I cannot hook up the A/V cable for sound. Will I need an adapter?

I have access to a separate sound card if that will help. any ideas? Thanks!