PS3 Launch and Pricing

Yasu

PS3 launch and pricing info has been released...finally.
Hirai takes the stage once again and recaps what's been seen so far. Then he announces the global launch details. It will be available in two versions: one with a 60GB hard drive, and one with 20GB. It will launch in the US on November 17 for $499 ($549 CDN) for the 20GB version and $599 ($659 CDN) for the 60GB one. The machine will launch in Japan on November 11 with the 20GB version fetching 59,800 yen, and the 60GB one bearing an "open price," which means retailers will set the price themselves. Europe and Australia will also get the mahcine on November 17, with the 20GB version running for 499 euros, and the 60GB configuration going for 599 euros. Hirai thanked the audience and invited them to get their hands on PS3 games at kiosks throughout the hall.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149470.html

CodeMonkey

wow, i see no downside to spending $100 more dollars and getting the 60GB hard drive. If you get some of those major games like FF and stuff, they will eat up your hard drive space and you could be left wondering why you didnt get the upgrade. I still stick with microsoft thought and wont be spending my money on the PS3. Its gonna have great graphics and all but i think my 360 is good enough.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, that seems pretty reasonable price considering everything that will be with it. Now, I just need to wait another 2.5 to 3.5 years ;)

CodeMonkey

yeah, then the price might go down $50, knowing Sony :p

i wont buy the PS3 no matter what i stick with my 360 and my new laptop.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, that's fair, I'm not really interested in a 360, and for almost everyone except those with absurd amounts of money, probably they will be choosing between a 360 or a PS3. :) (until they come down about $150, and then a lot people will probably get both)

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
The priceis alot cheaper then i and most people expected. But in saying that, its still expensive, and its only the rrp. If the retailers are smart, they could sell them for 30% - 40% more and still be out of stock within a few minutes.

Beyond

CodeMonkey said:
wow, i see no downside to spending $100 more dollars and getting the 60GB hard drive. If you get some of those major games like FF and stuff, they will eat up your hard drive space and you could be left wondering why you didnt get the upgrade. I still stick with microsoft thought and wont be spending my money on the PS3. Its gonna have great graphics and all but i think my 360 is good enough.

the hdmi support is another reason i'd spend the extra cash...

Geoff

VIP Member
I was thinking they would be in the thousand dollar range.

My plan is to wait overnight the day they come out, buy it for $500 or $600, and then sell it on eBay for $1000+ :D

Yasu

theres an XBOX 360 second edition coming out...
It's not really a 2nd edition. It's just the 360 with a "new" processor that produces less heat. That's the only thing I've heard of so far.

Did they say how much the games would cost? 70+?
I haven't read anything yet, and I can't look up anything right now since all the good sites are blocked(at school right now), but they'll probably be $60 or $70.

m0nk3ys1ms

i honestly think that the ps3 is worth it, itll play blu-rays, and those players are gonna be like a 1000 bucks. i say that the games will probally be something like 60 bucks. they dont want to get to much higher price wise.

Yasu

i honestly think that the ps3 is worth it, itll play blu-rays
Actually, from what I've seen and read, only the $600 version will be able to play "true" blu-ray movies..I think, I'm not an expert on the entire Blu vs HD scenario. The $500 version is stripped down and will not have an HDMI output(required for Blu-ray or something like that).

A link to Sony's lies and dissapointments: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149552.html

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Yasu said:
Actually, from what I've seen and read, only the $600 version will be able to play "true" blu-ray movies..I think, I'm not an expert on the entire Blu vs HD scenario. The $500 version is stripped down and will not have an HDMI output(required for Blu-ray or something like that).

A link to Sony's lies and dissapointments: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149552.html
Haha, that link had me in sticthes! They really shouldnt of over exxagerated last year!

Beyond

[-0MEGA-] said:
I was thinking they would be in the thousand dollar range.

My plan is to wait overnight the day they come out, buy it for $500 or $600, and then sell it on eBay for $1000+ :D

i'm considering doing that. hopefully it will go like the 360s did :p

bigsaucybob

The games definitly will be more than $60 because:

1. They are Blu-Ray DVD's

2. That is where companies make most of their money, and Sony is loosing a lot of money on the console

Geoff

VIP Member
Beyond said:
i'm considering doing that. hopefully it will go like the 360s did :p
I hope so... the Xbox's were selling for over $1,000, and they didnt even retail for as much as a P3 does.

suprasteve

bigsaucybob said:
2. That is where companies make most of their money, and Sony is loosing a lot of money on the console
I think we already had a big long talk about companies not legally being able to sell something below its production cost a while back....