PS3 Online (Your opinions)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

Even though ive got my rig in sig for gaming....i have been VERY temped in getting the new PS3 slim version....for £249

Can someone who owns a PS3 tell me,What is the Online like? Is it free and non-subscription like the 360 is:cool:

What is the PS3 like overall?

awildgoose

Online is free and non-sub (were you being sarcastic about the 360 is?).
It is pretty decent finding a game for most games, the wireless controllers are great, they have this thing called "Six Axis", it's like a steering wheel sort of this. on GTA4, you swing down and then up (although you don't have to) and you pop a wheelie.
The Vibration is also cool to use and Blu-ray is awesome.
But yeh, online is great, I love it and it's free so no $80 a year or whatever Xbox Live is.

Masterfulks

Yep online is free.

Which includes free demos. Demo's save me the price of rentals most of the time. There are some decent online demos.

I perfer my PC for online games as usually they are FPS's, but I've never had a problem finding a game or lagging out on the PS3.

IMHO the PS3 and a PC is the perfect gaming combo. Games that you can't get on PS3 (because they are on the 360) usually come out on PC. So you still get to play everything. BluRay is great, the controllers are nice (I've had mine for a couple of years and they still hold a charge for weeks), and the game selection gets better as time goes by.

The Slim looks to be a good deal. If I was new to the PS3 thing, I'd snag one. They probably won't be getting much cheaper for awhile.

They don't play ps2 games, but I think I've played 1 PS2 game on my 80gig PS3. So really that's no loss.

bomberboysk

Another advantage to playstation 3 in a short while will be Gran Turismo 5:cool:

The online is pretty decent, cant beat free.

Fatback

VIP Member
Don't wast your money your computer has everything the PS3 has expect for blu-ray and if you won't it then buy you a blu-ray drive for you computer. I had one when it first came out stood in line for 4 hours to get one. I sold it about a 4 months later because there where no good games and the online support sucked. There where so many people glitching I couldn't even play a game. The only good thing about the PS3 is the web browser but your computer has that to. Id say take that $250 and spend it on upgrades for you computer or better yet not at all.

Justin

VIP Member
online is decent. i haven't had any trouble with the PSN service. you can download demos as others stated as well as arcade games like what you can get on xbox live arcade. you can also download playstation 1 classics which i great imo. i'd say go for it, don't listen to the ps3 haters. they bash the console because they don't even own one. ;)

Fatback

VIP Member
online is decent. i haven't had any trouble with the PSN service. you can download demos as others stated as well as arcade games like what you can get on xbox live arcade. you can also download playstation 1 classics which i great imo. i'd say go for it, don't listen to the ps3 haters. they bash the console because they don't even own one. ;)

I owned one and I still bash it why wast money when his computer can do all of what a PS3 can plus more. Kind of stupid if you ask me his computer has better graphics then a PS3 ever could he can play online the same way. PC has more and better games. If he wants a Blu-Ray player he can get one for his computer for like $80. PS3 or Xbox 360 is just a big wast when you have a gaming computer like that. His computer would kill a PS3 or 360 in benchmarks.

Justin

VIP Member
PC can't play Gran Turismo. PC can't play SOCOM. PC can't play Metal Gear Solid 4. PC can't play MAG (not yet released but it'll be awesome! 256 players online!)

so you see, if he's after the exclusives then by any means get the PS3. but if he'll be getting it to play COD and what not, then he'll stick with a PC or get a 360 for i don't know what reason. it's up to him, not us. he just wants feedback.

Fatback

VIP Member
PC can't play Gran Turismo. PC can't play SOCOM. PC can't play Metal Gear Solid 4. PC can't play MAG (not yet released but it'll be awesome! 256 players online!)

so you see, if he's after the exclusives then by any means get the PS3. but if he'll be getting it to play COD and what not, then he'll stick with a PC or get a 360 for i don't know what reason. it's up to him, not us. he just wants feedback.

No it can't play those games not yet anyways. Do you really think MAG is going to be a success 256 players that is going to lag so bad you wont know what is happening.

Any way you look at it a computer beats a console and there is no reason to spend money on a console so you can play a certain game that just stupid IMAO.

He wanted feedback and I'm giving him mine. It is just going to be a wast of money when you already have something better.

This is just my opinion though everybody looks at thing different.

Aastii

VIP Member
No it can't play those games not yet anyways. Do you really think MAG is going to be a success 256 players that is going to lag so bad you wont know what is happening.

Any way you look at it a computer beats a console and there is no reason to spend money on a console so you can play a certain game that just stupid IMAO.

He wanted feedback and I'm giving him mine. It is just going to be a wast of money when you already have something better.

This is just my opinion though everybody looks at thing different.

It is worth it for certain games. I too have my PC as the main gaming system, but i have my xbox for the awesome games that are only console or only xbox exclusive, like forza 2, gh:wt (i know it is PC now, but still better on console imo) and when they come out, forza 3, FFXIII and WET (i played the demo today and it is SUCH cool game, it is like once upon a time in mexico, but in china town and with a chick).

I would say it isn't worth it tbh. If you don't have one already, an xbox would be better, the online isn't expensive really, i mean, £50 a year i think it is, that is less than £1 a week for online that is better than the playstations.

I am not an xbox fanboy, i love the PS3, have played it excessively at friends and relatives, but the xbox IS better imo. It has the same games as the PS3, but they are better online because XBL is a much better system than the playstation one (i forget the name now :confused:) aswell as the exclusive games being better and the palystation exclusive games not being worth buying the console for, again, imo. The xbox controllers are better too. They take a little getting used to because they are bigger than your normal controller, but then they work perfectly and have amazing battery life, the playstation ones though don't last as long i find and then when you plug in your foot long lead, you have to sit with your eyes on the screen of your 40 inch TV, it isn't practical and you can't just whack another battery pack or another couple of AA batteries in, you have to let it charge

Fatback

VIP Member
It is worth it for certain games. I too have my PC as the main gaming system, but i have my xbox for the awesome games that are only console or only xbox exclusive, like forza 2, gh:wt (i know it is PC now, but still better on console imo) and when they come out, forza 3, FFXIII and WET (i played the demo today and it is SUCH cool game, it is like once upon a time in mexico, but in china town and with a chick).

I would say it isn't worth it tbh. If you don't have one already, an xbox would be better, the online isn't expensive really, i mean, £50 a year i think it is, that is less than £1 a week for online that is better than the playstations.

I am not an xbox fanboy, i love the PS3, have played it excessively at friends and relatives, but the xbox IS better imo. It has the same games as the PS3, but they are better online because XBL is a much better system than the playstation one (i forget the name now :confused:) aswell as the exclusive games being better and the palystation exclusive games not being worth buying the console for, again, imo. The xbox controllers are better too. They take a little getting used to because they are bigger than your normal controller, but then they work perfectly and have amazing battery life, the playstation ones though don't last as long i find and then when you plug in your foot long lead, you have to sit with your eyes on the screen of your 40 inch TV, it isn't practical and you can't just whack another battery pack or another couple of AA batteries in, you have to let it charge

I agree I love my xbox but if I had a computer like Nevakonazas my xbox would be up for sale on craigs list right now. I don't see any point in having more the on gaming system imo. I don't even have time for games any more and when I do play it is like 2AM for maybe 30mins.

Your right everything about the xbox is better then the PS3 but everything about a computer is better then them both.

The only thing a console has over a computer is no stupid product key for the games.

Aastii

VIP Member
I agree I love my xbox but if I had a computer like Nevakonazas my xbox would be up for sale on craigs list right now. I don't see any point in having more the on gaming system imo. I don't even have time for games any more and when I do play it is like 2AM for maybe 30mins.

Your right everything about the xbox is better then the PS3 but everything about a computer is better then them both.

The only thing a console has over a computer is no stupid product key for the games

except for the console only games, like FFXIII, which i would have got a PS3 or xbox for just for that game if i didn't already have an xbox.

Another advantage of consoles is that you can get the game, put it in and play straight away rather than install, set up, fix any problems, find drivers if you need, do all of the updates for it etc etc

Hyper_Kagome

The slim PS3... I saw it in the stores the day before it was actually suppose to hit the street. Looking at the box with the EB Games employees it looks as if they're 1/3rd the size of the original PS3 and also have a matte finish instead of the gloss. The gloss is nice, but marks up so easy.
120 gigs, much like the Xbox Elite. Still has all it's wireless capabilities, as far as I know there's no backwards compatibility. I haven't looked too far into them. My guess is no though. They wouldn't take 40gig PS3's as trade for the Slim. (promotion to trade in the 60 and 80 gigs to get the Slim for just $50.) I like my 40 gig though.
Another thing i heard is that it doesn't have the ability to run Linux like all the other models. I never did that, nor know how to, so no skin off my back.

As for PSN, I've had no issues with it. PSHome is amusing for awhile. Able to meet new gaming buddies on there and customize a character, shop around. The free download demos are also nice for testing out upcoming games and already released games. There's also themes you can buy or find for free to give to the whole interface. Mine is MGS4 based. I'll maybe get a few pictures of it another day.

The Blu-Ray is nice, especially fed out with an HDMI to a 1080p capable TV. The controllers are light, even with the rumble, and the six axis throws a neat spin into some games. Someone mentioned GTAIV, you can also drive and bowl and play darts with the Six-Axis. Lots of things.

There are the exclusives as well. inFAMOUS, Demon's Souls (coming release), MGS4, Resistance, etc. Not to mention F@H. I haven't folded with it for awhile since I've moved, but I'm debating getting that started up again when I'm not using it for anything else. It folds like a beast.

Sure, you have a gaming computer, but there are also perks with a console you just can't get with a PC. The decision is yours. I've had nothing but good runnings with my PS3 since I purchased it.

JlCollins005

i myself, and most everyone i know with ps3 does not like the online gaming side of ps3, to me its laggy poorly laid out, xbox live may cost 40 a year but its also laid out much better than ps3's another downside to ps3 is that activision will be stopping game production for the ps3 because sales are so low that they arent making ne money, so that just might lead to others stopping. but like i said to me its laggy, buggy, poorly laid out.

UpskirtHayley

xbox live is greed. i aint paying something extra when i supose to have it for free.

psn is free. playing online games on ps3 is addictive. once you play ps3 online you will never go back to crappy pc games like wow.

midnight club la / streetfighter 4 / soul calibur 4

Masterfulks

I owned one and I still bash it why wast money when his computer can do all of what a PS3 can plus more. Kind of stupid if you ask me his computer has better graphics then a PS3 ever could he can play online the same way. PC has more and better games. If he wants a Blu-Ray player he can get one for his computer for like $80. PS3 or Xbox 360 is just a big wast when you have a gaming computer like that. His computer would kill a PS3 or 360 in benchmarks.

You sold yours 4 months in. That's way to fast to judge a console. You were not even past first gen games.

bomberboysk

Don't wast your money your computer has everything the PS3 has expect for blu-ray and if you won't it then buy you a blu-ray drive for you computer. I had one when it first came out stood in line for 4 hours to get one. I sold it about a 4 months later because there where no good games and the online support sucked. There where so many people glitching I couldn't even play a game. The only good thing about the PS3 is the web browser but your computer has that to. Id say take that $250 and spend it on upgrades for you computer or better yet not at all.
Eh, i wouldnt say so.

1. On PS3 there are alot of titles that dont come out on pc, Gran Turismo 5 is one that comes to mind mainly.

2. Alot more people are online on consoles at any given time.

3. As much as i love PC Gaming, there is always the fact that consoles just "work", no need to worry about your pc not being powerful enough to play games.

I dont use my ps3 a whole lot, as i mainly am a pc gamer, but it will get some use once GT5 comes out:D

UpskirtHayley

Eh, i wouldnt say so.

1. On PS3 there are alot of titles that dont come out on pc, Gran Turismo 5 is one that comes to mind mainly.

3. As much as i love PC Gaming, there is always the fact that consoles just "work", no need to worry about your pc not being powerful enough to play games.

I dont use my ps3 a whole lot, as i mainly am a pc gamer, but it will get some use once GT5 comes out:D

first time i hear a pc gamer saying the fact regardless of their favorite platform.

alot of pc gamers let their fan-boyish spirit taken over realism. dont know if that make sense.

Fatback

VIP Member
Eh, i wouldnt say so.

IMAO I don't believe in buying a different system every time a new game comes out. It is just a company's way to get us to buy there product and I'm not going to fall for it. No game interests me enough that I'm going to drop $300 to play some new game.

first time i hear a pc gamer saying the fact regardless of their favorite platform.

alot of pc gamers let their fan-boyish spirit taken over realism. dont know if that make sense.

I love my xbox 360 and it's the only console I have ever liked but I think PC gaming is a thousands times better. I will probably never buy another console again now that I see how much better PC gaming is.

Last edited:

footballstevo75

I think it's decent, does what I want it to do, play games against other people.

Really haven't had any trouble except for the first day socom came out, that was nuts, but the first update fixed everything for me.