PSU fan is failing. Replacement essential?

bcomatts

My 3.5 year old PSU's fan is failing. On a regular basis the fan stops, I can restart it by simply tapping the back of my computer.

I am just wondering if having no fan for a few hours before I realize it's not spinning and fix it, is that ok?

I notice on my water cooling that the CPU goes from a regular 27 C/82 F to 34 C/93 F when the fan stops.

Thanks for the read.

bldgengineer

is there any dust back there? have you tried blowing it out? I don't think I would let it run w/o the fan running. As cheap as PSU's go, letting one just die on you and risking catastrophic failure just seems like a bad idea to me.

ceewi1

VIP Member
It's not the temperature of the CPU that's a concern in this case, it's the temperature in the PSU itself. If it heats up to far it will shut off or fail completely. I'd replace it.

Yeah, I would replace the PSU, or I would buy another fan, if the PSU is pretty nice, and I would install that fan and just hardwire it in to the stock specs

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It's not recommended that you open the PSU and replace the fan. Lots of things in there that retain their voltages for quite a while... But yes, if your fan's failing, you definetly should do something.