PSU or Cooler?

C4C

My CPU has now overheated twice in the past hour while playing GTA V.

My temps monitored with CoreTemp haven't risen higher than 65C yet my PC will shut off in the middle of gameplay.

The only way to get it to start back up is turning the PSU off then turning it back on again.

I currently have my GPU overclocked with the power limit at +20% (not an issue), but the VDDC is in the upper 1200's. I will bump this down a bit but I'm still a little stumped.

I have 2 case fans coming by mail tomorrow.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What power supply do you have? Look in the bios to see if voltages are within specs.

Edit - just checked your sig and seen you have the cx600. You may be close to power consumption with the overclocks. Put everything back to stock and see what temps you get.

C4C

What power supply do you have? Look in the bios to see if voltages are within specs.

Edit - just checked your sig and seen you have the cx600. You may be close to power consumption with the overclocks. Put everything back to stock and see what temps you get.

Wouldn't have taken long at all if I looked at my tower. The PSU fan is straight up against the plastic covering for the carpet floor meaning no circulation. Gosh I'm an idiot hahaha

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Highly recommend getting towers off the carpet. Put them on a small wooden stand if you have to.

beers

Staff member
I'd kick your overclock down a few notches and lower voltage. My 8350 looked like it had thermal runaway with a 212 EVO at anything much over 4.4 or so, but not sure what voltages you are trying to run.

C4C

I'd kick your overclock down a few notches and lower voltage. My 8350 looked like it had thermal runaway with a 212 EVO at anything much over 4.4 or so, but not sure what voltages you are trying to run.
Remove overclocks

Wasn't the issue. In running 4.6 with a max temp of 58C.. It was the PSU, so I elevated the bottom of my case! Plus the new fans helped.