pulling my hair out

failed2live

If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

equipment:
Mac G4 running Leopard
Dell optiplex running XP
Linksys wireless adapter (for internet ... connected to the dell)
Netopia cayman modem/router (to network the computers)

Ok, here we go. I have been going nuts trying to figure this out and haven't got much help. I am trying to network the two computers so that my Mac can use the internet connection from the dell. I have everything connected but the Dell does not show a default gateway to allow me access to the Netopia while the Mac does allow me access. In the network places it shows that it is connected and the ethernet port is blinking. Does this sound like it could be affecting my goal? Does anyone know where I can begin to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance

axgrinder73

Welcome to the forums!!

Are you running the same DHCP settings on both computers?

Why do you want to connect the Mac to the Dell? Why not connect it directly to the router?

failed2live

as far as i can tell they are the same.

The router is downstairs and I am trying to avoid having one computer upstairs and one downstairs.

failed2live

Could you walk me through that? I've never done that before and I know that it is particular on the information needed.
Thanks again

axgrinder73

First thing that you will need to do is access your router and find out what the address range is for your DHCP setting.

You may need to refer to your router documentation to show you how to do this.

When you get that far let us know.

axgrinder73

Ok, you will need to change that so you will have more static addresses. Set the ening adress to 192.168.1.240 (the first static address available)

That will give you 14 static adresses (room for expansion). When you get that set, goto -control panel - network connectionc - right click on your local connection - properties - click on (to highlight) Internet TCP/IP (not the check box) then click properties.

Then select Use the Following IP adress and enter this:

IP Address - 192.168.1.41
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (or what ever the address of your router is)

You need to click OK and close the dialog boxes for the setting to take effect.

Do this on the Dell, then try to connect to the internet. If it works, let us know and we will work on the MAC.

If you get an error about resolving a host name you will need to go back to the connection properties and set the DNS settings to Use the Following DNS Servers - and enter the address of your router.

If you get any other errors, reverse the settings (set the IP adress and DNS server back to automatic and let us know.

failed2live

wanted to let you know that i got it with a little outside help. I ran the network set up wizard which caused my ip address for my ethernet to change. I then got into the router that connects the computers and changed the default gateway, DHCP, and DNS for that so it wouldn't interfere with the wireless internet. Then I set a static IP for the Mac and I was in.

Thank you for your time and take care.