question about 64 bit computer

Roy Rogers

I attempted to reload suse 11.1 after a crash and got an error message "you are attempting to load a 32 bit program into a 64 bit computer". I was not aware my computer was 64 bit, i've been using 32 bit software ever since i've owned it. Is this a hardware adjustment or just a software selection?

Zatharus

VIP Member
If you have an Athlon 64 or Core series chip or newer, then yes, you do have a 64bit capable machine. You can still run a 32bit OS and software on it.

Did you get that error during the OS install or when loading extra software onto an existing install?

Roy Rogers

re

the error message was at the start of reloading the OS. I'm wondering why I never got that message before, i've been using this machine for a year. The CPU is AMD Athlon 64x2, 5000+ and 2.6 Ghz on ASUS M2N-SL1 board. The computer was working fine last night but this morning when I tried to turn it on I got an error message "no operating systyem, press any key to reboot". When I attempted to reload the os I got the error message "you are attempting to install a 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine". Grimlins?

Zatharus

VIP Member
What could be happening here is SUSE is detecting a prior 64bit install and you have selected or are trying to install from a 32bit installer.

As for the no OS found error, check your BIOS to make sure you have the correct drive selected to boot. That could get you up and running sooner than a re-install. It is possible your CMOS battery is dead and your BIOS settings were cleared.