Question about a PCI-E 2.0 card in a PCI-E 1.1 slot

racer13fly

I already know that a 2.0 card would work in a 1.1 slot, but the speed would be decreased, but I'm just wondering how much slower it would go? Like if I put a 9800GT in a 1.1 slot, how much difference would it be? Would it be noticeable or not very?
Thanks.

mx344

Not by much, but yes they are backwards compatible.I run a 4670 on a 1.1pciex still runs great!

viper110110

they are not backwards compatible in some AS-Rock motherboards

I learned that the hard way.

but other than that they are compatible but slower

lion149

Best thing to do is Google your MB and read up. For example, my VIA chipest biostar board won't run anything higher then an 8600gt.

racer13fly

Well I was just kind of curious of how much difference there was, not much I see. Thanks!
And one more thing, would a 9800GT work with the A8AE-LE AmbermineM motherboard? I think it would, but then the problem would be the power supply, which is low on my PC. I of course won't be doing that on my current, though.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I ran my GTX 260 on my old Asus P5N-E 650i motherboard which has a PCI-E 1.0 slot. I saw absolutly no difference in performance.

Actually...my processor and my graphics card at stock speeds ran higher 3Dmark06 score than the Evga 780i I have now. That's no joke...the Asus motherboard scored about 500-600 points higher!

But of course...the Evga can be tweeked much more and it crushes the Asus board now:D

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well I was just kind of curious of how much difference there was, not much I see. Thanks!
And one more thing, would a 9800GT work with the A8AE-LE AmbermineM motherboard? I think it would, but then the problem would be the power supply, which is low on my PC. I of course won't be doing that on my current, though.

As far as I know, no AMD/ATI chipsets had the problem. Think it was only older VIA chipsets.

linkin

VIP Member
As long as it is an x16 slot you will really only get a ~5% loss in performance. I know that sli with 16x - 16x is only ~8% faster than sli with 8x - 8x

StrangleHold

Staff member
As long as it is an x16 slot you will really only get a ~5% loss in performance. I know that sli with 16x - 16x is only ~8% faster than sli with 8x - 8x

Thats really kinda open ended. They are talking about between PCIe 1.0 vs. 2.0 anyway, not X8 vs. X16.