Question about applying Thermal Paste

paratwa

If your not getting any beeps from your motherboard, and things try to start (your cd and such) then there is something you forgot to do. Slow down, take a look at everything, you might have unplugged something, or loosened something. Check all your connections.

DavidWright05

thx paratwa... apparently the only thing I can clear via jumpers is the Internal Clock...

I did unplug and replug the PSU, and am currently trying to figure out how to get the battery out because the manual had no instructions on that specific part.

If the Cd and Graphics card start does that mean for sure the CPU isnt toasted?

DavidWright05

WAIT... one big question.

When I cleaned and reseated the CPU, I did it with it still "locked" into the MoBo, I cleaned it etc without unloocking it. Was this a problem?

StrangleHold

Staff member
It could not fry it in 6 or 7 seconds, Did you by chance unplug the 4 pin CPU power Connecter next to the socket when you were working on it?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
HOLY CRAP

Please tell me I didnt just toast my CPU... please god...

Listen: I applied the paste, connected the heatsink like described on via instructions from arctic silver website... But like a total unbelievable idiot I forgot to plug the heatsink back into the mobo... So I start up my computer, notice that the fan is not spinning, and shut it back off after approximately 7 or 8 seconds... I plug it in, turn it back on, but I dont hear a beep and the monitor does not turn on... The CD drive did "initialize" and the GPU turned on, but I dont think that makes any difference.

Did I just toast my CPU? ****

Newer CPUs (from about 3-4 years ago) will shut themselves off if they get too hot. You'll be fine. Do as others have said: reset CMOS, upplug all MoBo conenctors, then replug and make sure everything is connected, turn off then unplug the PSU and plug back in and turn back on, then try Powering Up again.

You mentioned a few posts down that you cleaned and reseated the CPU while it was still locked to the MoBo? Generally, you'll want to pull them off before you clean them. That way you don't have to worry about damaging the MoBo.

paratwa

Also, with leaving the CPU in while cleaning it, you run the risk of getting some thermal paste down under the CPU causing a short.

You should always pull the cpu when cleaning it. So pull your cpu and check if there are any signs of any paste under it. You might also have gotten some alcohol down under it.

DavidWright05

Also, with leaving the CPU in while cleaning it, you run the risk of getting some thermal paste down under the CPU causing a short.

You should always pull the cpu when cleaning it. So pull your cpu and check if there are any signs of any paste under it. You might also have gotten some alcohol down under it.

Ok, one thing... Is it safe to just take the heat sink off after I just re-seated it?

will I have to clean it again and reapply thermal paste?

DavidWright05

Yeah, and NORMAL amount is good. (as in 1 dot single core, 1 line dual core)

Yeah I did the line as recommended for dual core by Arctic Silver on their website....

My question is that when reseating it, should I clean off the paste I just put on yesterday and re-do the whole process with fresh paste or just stick it back on their using the paste from yesterday?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I saw great results by spreading a very thin layer over the entire CPU heatshield, then putting an additional dab in the center just before putting on the HSF.

So, either spread what's on there now very thinly, or scrape off and reapply. If you continuously take off/put on without scraping or removing first, you run the risk of ir bubbles getting trapped and that's not good.

paratwa

I always remove and clean old paste as well as possible, whether it was applied yesterday, or a month ago.

DavidWright05

ahh I have no idea whats wrong :confused:

I just reseated it with new thermal paste, and it still dont gimme a beep or a video signal...

At least it was nice to see that my previous job resulted in a nice round circle of paste

oscaryu1

VIP Member
yeah... I even unplugged the PSU from the mobo and took the battery out and let it sit like that for 40 minutes.

Make suer the GFX ain't dead (or use onboard) and try using the basic components... (EX get rid of the Sound card, physics card, ect)

Make sure you didn't spill any TP on the mobo...

DavidWright05

Make suer the GFX ain't dead (or use onboard) and try using the basic components... (EX get rid of the Sound card, physics card, ect)

Make sure you didn't spill any TP on the mobo...

there is no onboard vid card :(

No sound card (I use an interface), no phys card. Just 2 HD drives and a CD drive.