Question about applying Thermal Paste

paratwa

At this point, I don't know what to tell you. It could be your CPU is fried from the heat.

Did you see any signs of thermal paste under the CPU when you pulled it out that second time? If so then the cpu is probably toast.

So your getting no beeps or anything right?

This might be a very stupid question, but did you hit the power switch on the back of your PSU by mistake and not realize it? Believe me, anything is possible, and that has actually happened to people.

Have you tried re seating every connection in your system? Sometimes when messing around inside you can loosen something and not realize it.

I am grasping at straws here. But it is worth asking.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Unplug all wires from the MoBo and remove all the RAM. Go ahead, I'll wait...

OK.
Now plug in the 4-pin connector and Power connector. Place one stick of RAM in the first bank. Power up the PSU and turn on the computer.

Anything? POSTing?

DavidWright05

Hey guys, for those who still care...

I took it into the shop and they tested it out in front of me for about 5 minutes, and basically came to the conclusion that something was wrong with the MoBo.

Also the guy pointed out that it appeared as if one side of the little case for the CPU was slightly bent which was strange, maybe because it got too hot.

So now i'm in the process of I guess RMAing my Asus p5b Mobo, which is hard to do because asus is hard to figure out. They posted a "technical support" number off their main contact number, and it ends up leading to a little old lady in Indiana who requests kindly that you please stop calling her.

I just have the feeling that I will not be able to or have the determination to get this thing RMA'd... in which case i'll need a new MoBo.

What do you guys suggest? The guy at the store suggest a "intel 335(?)... He said Asus boards werent really that great, unless your into overclocking and stuff.

I'll probably end up also getting a new CPU heatsink, although i'm not sure that I need one. I figure I might as well for an extra 30 bucks.

Ahhh well, thx for your help guys... now begins the long hard process of building the PC back from scratch, waiting on parts, troubleshooting, and worst of all NOT having a PC for about 2 weeks :(:(:(

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
:( Sorry to hear it.

As far as MoBo's go, I had issues with my Abit IL9 Pro at first, but it grew on my pretty quick and now I'm fairly fond of it:) FWIW, I had an Intel nightmare MoBo about a month ago, and swore to never again purchase one (I'll stick to their CPUs though!). I recently tried the Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L which was very nice and had good OCing capabilities if you're in to that, but it just wasn't the board for me. You can't OC the CPU with the IL9 Pro though, so if you want to, get something else.