Question about Firefox and Internet Explorer

Aastii

VIP Member
Is IE have better download speed than Firefox ?

no, it depends on the server you are getting it from, and what internet speeds you are receiveing from your ISP.

The fastest I have seen ff download at on my system is 5.6MB/s (44.8Mb/s), fastest I have seen IE download at is 5.5MB/s (44Mb/s). That .1MB/s can be put down to traffic, the servers I was downloading from etc rather than IE being a worse browser.

With nothing added to it, Firefox uses less resources than IE does (haven't checked with IE8, so if that is no longer the case, please correct me), so doesn't impare the speed of your system as much. When people say "it is faster" they don't mean the browser itself achieves better up/download speeds, just that it isn't so much of a resource hog (which on lower end systems, having little resources to spare would result in IE being sluggish, where as Firefox would appear quicker). Remember though once you start putting addons in there on Firefox, you can expect the resource difference to begin going in favour of IE

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
uhm, firefox downloads faster for me...though FF seems to use alots of ram usage.

I just did a small test and downloaded open office with both IE and FF

FF it came down @ 2.8MB/s
IE it came down @ 3.0MB/s

Now I'm sure if I did it over and over and took an average, the numbers wouldn't be so different, but goes to show that FF doesn't necessarily download faster that IE

As to resource usage, I also just did windows update (stopped my freezeing that I mentioned in another thread which I'm happy with :D) and have IE8 now. Looking at task manager

IE uses ~43MB of memory
FF uses ~ 110MB

So FF actually seems to be more resource intensive than IE

I still use FF more, find it easier to, but think I may start looking at alternatives from that

=EDIT=

actually I made a slight mistake. When firefox first opens it consumes ~21MB of memory. That number up there came because I've had FF open for a good few hours now, so got alot of history that I can click back to get to ;) IE however opens at the ~43MB that I put above

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
IE is underrated and Firefox overrated by Firefox God Warriors. I use both all the time, there is no difference in the download speed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All I know is that I have firefox installed and use it when I have problems with IE, which isn't often. IE opens up a lot faster than FF. IE opens immediately and FF opens in about 5 seconds.

Aleksandar030

You should lookup Opera. The fastest browser out there if you ask me. Doesn't have to do anything much when it comes to download/upload speed (ISP connection and server load what matters here) but it does seem to "read" and render websites faster than Firefox and IE. Give it a try, I'm using it for years now and have always been satisfied.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You should lookup Opera. The fastest browser out there if you ask me. Doesn't have to do anything much when it comes to download/upload speed (ISP connection and server load what matters here) but it does seem to "read" and render websites faster than Firefox and IE. Give it a try, I'm using it for years now and have always been satisfied.

Maybe 5 years ago it was the fastest. According to all the research I have done (read stuff and tested it myself) Chrome is the fastest web browser out there.