Question About Upgrading RAM

Dirtmuncher111

Hi, I was wondering, for the computer shown below, will THIS memory fit into the following computer (I dont know what to look for to see if it has the right slots etc.). Also would it be easy to upgrade or a pain? Thanks!

High-Performance Liquid Cooling: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 700 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Processors - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5200+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Memory: 1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Desktop Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer DVD±RW
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Yes it should, so long you have 2 more open slots on your motherboard. And also, there's the edit button so you dont have to triple post :).

Dirtmuncher111

Yeah sorry about that :)

Cant I just use the slots that the 2 512MB cards are in and replace them? If theres an extra slot or two, would it be possible to put either all 4 in or 2 1024MB cards and 1 512MB card to have a total of 3GB or 2 1/2GB or is that not how it works?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Yeah sorry about that :)

Cant I just use the slots that the 2 512MB cards are in and replace them? If theres an extra slot or two, would it be possible to put either all 4 in or 2 1024MB cards and 1 512MB card to have a total of 3GB or 2 1/2GB or is that not how it works?

Well, the best scenario would be if your motherboard has 4 slots, so you can put the 2 512mb sticks and the 2 one gig sticks in, and still have it in dual channel. Otherwise, I would just leave it at 2 gigs dual channel.

chupacabra

It should, but whenever the operative system you have can get full potential out of it, that's another thing