question on RAM

Hyper_Kagome

i've been thinking of getting some more RAM for my desktop back at my mom's house.

does it matter what brand/kind i get? does it depend on the motherboard, or would any desktop RAM fit?

i want to slowly start upgrading my current computer so it runs smoother and faster, and someone brought to my attention that some more RAM would likely be a good start. as it is, my computer tends to get laggy and slow doing just a few things. i'd like to be able to get my photoshop and macromedia programs back up and running without those problems.

thanks.

p.s. i'm pretty much computer illiterate.

Bodaggit23

Yes it matters what kind you get depending on your current motherboard.

Can you post the model and brand so we can check the specs?

Hyper_Kagome

well, that's going to have to wait until i get back to my mom's from my visit to my dad's. off hand, i have no clue what any of my specs are.

cboisits

Go to: www.crucial.com and answer the 3 questions. Then you will know. If it happens to be the same type of RAM that's compatible with a DELL Dimension 8300, I can hook you up! I know that the type/technology of RAM in my PC is: DDR SDRAM; and the form factor is DIMM 184-pin. I have 2 x 512Mb modules that are useless to me.
[email protected]