Question re: Rendering videos - is it supposed to take so long?

Jamin43

banned
I'm new to video editing - picked up a good deal on Video Editing Software - and have used it a couple times to get used to function.

After a project - when I get ready to burn the media to a DVD - it takes a couple hours to render and burn onto a disk.

Is this normal ? When I purchased the software - I figured it would be quick like burning a DVD on DVD Recorder - but the process seems to be much more intensive - and takes a heckuva long longer:eek:

Anyway - I was just curious is this is typical with Video Editing - or is there something I could do to make the process move along faster?

Thanks

PC Hobbyist

Depending on:
- your computer,
- the quality and length of the video you are rendering,
- and how many effects you have added during editing,
yes, it could take a long time.

How good of a computer you have makes a big big difference. For example, I still have a 7 year old Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM. It needs about 11 minutes (or more) to render a 3-minute 720p video I recorded with my digital camera. My 1-year old laptop has a single core low voltage processor at 1.6 GHz and it only needs about 4 minutes to render that same video. I couldn't imagine editing a long video with the computer I have. It would take forever.
If I had a Core i7 processor at 2.8 GHz it would probably do it in half a minute (I'm guessing).

And burning a DVD can also take a while depending on the type of burner you have.

So, to answer your question, you would have to tell us more specifics of what hardware you have in order for people here to tell you if it is normal. But, as you can see, editing and rendering video can take a long time.

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
Depending on:
- your computer,
- the quality and length of the video you are rendering,
- and how many effects you have added during editing,
yes, it could take a long time.

How good of a computer you have makes a big big difference.

I got a core i7 920 with 6 GB RAM.

The project was just a Video Capture of a 2 hour Standard Def movie from Tuner card - and removing commercials - and adding chapters every 5 minutes. I'm rendering to standard 4:3 display on Highest Resolution. The message says the video is too large for the Disk - so it's rendering to fit the movie to the disk. < that might be what's taking so long > I'm still learning the software - so mostlly it's tinkering.

On my Standalone recorder - I can get 2 hours and 6 minutes on a DVD-R - Not quite sure why the Video edited project at 90 minutes doesn't fit on the DVD as is.

The editing went smoothely and took no time at all to make adjustments - but the rendering is taking forever.

Last edited: