Quick question about 32/64 bit (involves RAM)

N3crosis

I currently have 4 Gigabytes of RAM. I have a 32-bit OS which only recognizes 2.25 (XP). If I get a 64-bit OS, and it recognizes all 4 gigs of my RAM will my computer be noticeably faster, or be able to perform more processes at once?

vauxforum

i would say yes. but the question is...

are you willing to do it? i find some programs are a git to install on 64 bit OS but it will make your PC faster yes.

effinMaster

your computer will be noticeably faster and will be able to perform more processes at once but if you have Xp you might not be able to notice any difference depending on what you use it for. XP runs a min. of 128MB of RAM i believe to operate... and using 4G's of RAM on XP....i honestly dont see a reason you would need that mutch memory...is their a reason why you think you need so mutch RAM?

Zatharus

VIP Member
I currently have 4 Gigabytes of RAM. I have a 32-bit OS which only recognizes 2.25 (XP). If I get a 64-bit OS, and it recognizes all 4 gigs of my RAM will my computer be noticeably faster, or be able to perform more processes at once?

First of all, XP is actually recognizing all of your RAM, but getting the 64-bit OS will allow you to use it all. XP can only address up to 4GB of memory...all memory in your system. This includes your video card's RAM as well. It souds like you have an SLI rig?

fmw

Maybe, maybe not. A 32 bit O/S is limited to addressing 4GB of total memory. Yes the 64 bit O/S will allow you to address all the memory - RAM, video etc. but that will affect computer performance only if the software you are running doesn't fit in the current addressable memory. If you multitask it might make a difference. If you don't it probably won't. There aren't many applications that won't fit in 2.25 GB.

StrangleHold

Staff member
First of all, XP is actually recognizing all of your RAM, but getting the 64-bit OS will allow you to use it all. XP can only address up to 4GB of memory...all memory in your system. This includes your video card's RAM as well. It souds like you have an SLI rig?

Agreed, something doesnt look right, if he is only running a single 9800GT it should show atleast 3gbs or alittle more.

Sounds like he needs to go into the bios and disable Memory Remap if he is using XP 32 bit..

Last edited:

AlienMenace

Or a memory stick is not working. He is missing 1gb of memory. XP 32 bit will see 3.25gb total. Using OS x64 and anything above 4gb of ram is mostly used for people that is doing CADD programs, and video and photo editing, which the ram and the OS x64 is used for.

N3crosis

To answer most of the questions, I only have 1 9800 GT, and I remember reading that the difference between XP 32 and Vista is that Vista Can recognize 3.25 (because it hogs up more resources), while XP only recognizes two because it was made a while ago (not many people had 4 gigs).

bomberboysk

Huh, since I last updated it now recognizes 2.50, is this starting to get normal?

Im gonna take a guess here... but is your gpu 1gb? Because if you have a gpu that has 1gb memory then it will lower memory read to around ~2.5-3gb in a 32bit os.