Rack Server and components' size

zaketamemanikia

Although this may be a silly question it has been bugging me for ages!

Are Rackmount server's compoents the same as a desktop computer?

I mean can I buy a desktop CPU,MoBo, HDD etc and assemble them into a rackmount case or are there sepcial MoBos, HDDs etc for a rackmount server or is it just the case?Do they really fit in?

Rackmount cases are far different than standard desktop cases. If I was home I could snap some pictures of my HP DL380 and DL560 servers for you.

Here's a shot I found of a DL380
hp-proliant-dl380-g4-server-spare-parts-m-b-power-scsi-card-bee-1010-05-bee@4.jpg

thanks for your reply. I was reffering to the components and not the case itself.

So can I take my desktop's components and put them in a rackmount case and make a server?

The rackmount will use the same processor sockets, RAM, and hard drives, but with a different motherboard and power supply. They are most likely SSI EEB or SSI CEB at the least. Not ATX.

So why use SSI instead of ATX? Is it a matter of size(ATX's wont fit in the rackmount case?) or onother reason? Are there different sizes and specs for a 1U and a 2U case? Sorry if these questions are dumb

Because they are meant for a different purpose. ATX is meant for consumer systems. SSI is servers and workstations only. 2 different tools for two different jobs.

The basic hardware is the same. They serve the same functionality. Server hardware usually is more reliable has more safeguards and are usually of a different size. They usually also disregard stuff like power saving and make alot of noise.

Why exactly are you asking?

Back