radeon 6850 installation werid

stormin1222

Hi,

So I am doing a fresh build with a radeon 6850 gpu. When it is not stick into the motherboard, everything is fine and I can see the boot screen, but when it is stick into the motherboard, then I don't see anything at all. As a matter of fact, the monitor doesnt even recieve a signal. This is before installing any OS. I am currently trying to install win 7 w/o the gpu and perhaps after installation of windows 7 it will be better. Could it possibly be my powersupply not providing enough power? The recommendation is 500w and that is exactly what I have. The thing is w/o the gpu it works fine so I am thinking if could be the system not having enough power when 6850 is present or the gpu itself is broken( on that note, I tried it on my friend's pc, it boot up fine, his build include a 650w power supply). even weirder is that when gpu is on the mobo, I dont even get a signal from the on board gpu so I think it might really be my powersupply's fault.

Another theory is that maybe my bios is too old for this graphic card or something and I need to install the newest bios after windows installation.

This is my first build so thanks for all the help!

Russ88765

Have you:

-tested this gpu in any other computers
-looked to see if it spins up when you power on the computer
-tried it in a different pci-e lane

stormin1222

Have you:

-tested this gpu in any other computers
-looked to see if it spins up when you power on the computer
-tried it in a different pci-e lane

yes I tried it in my friend's build and it boot up, we didnt install the driver to see if it is actually working though.

yes the fan is turning on the gpu

and no I only have a micro-atx so there is only one pci-e slot.

CardboardSword

I assume you're plugging the monitor into the card right, and not the onboard? It seems obvious to some, but you'd be surprised sometimes haha. What brand is the power supply? Riding the minimum requirements on a power supply is usually not a good idea, especially not if you're running a lower quality brand, which will actually put out much less power than it's rated at.

stormin1222

I assume you're plugging the monitor into the card right, and not the onboard? It seems obvious to some, but you'd be surprised sometimes haha. What brand is the power supply? Riding the minimum requirements on a power supply is usually not a good idea, especially not if you're running a lower quality brand, which will actually put out much less power than it's rated at.

oh interesting regarding the psu comment. I am using OCZ steath x stream 2 500w, it was on sale for 20 bucks after a 30 dollar rebate so i tho it was a really good deal. Maybe you are right with that it is a cheap psu and is probably not putting out enough juice for the gpu. also when gpu is plug in, none of the display ports works, i tried all four (2 on gpu, 2 on onboard).

Benny Boy

So I am doing a fresh build with a radeon 6850 gpu. When it is not stick into the motherboard, everything is fine and I can see the boot screen, but when it is stick into the motherboard, then I don't see anything at all. As a matter of fact, the monitor doesnt even recieve a signal. This is before installing any OS.
You must have an IGP, what mb is it?
I think here would be a setting in the bios to change from igp to the card.
Try installing the os, then install the gpu. Upon restart, go to bios and change setting.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hook it up to the onboard and go into the bios. Like said above look for a setting that determines where to look first for video on boot. Usually its listed as PCI/PEG/IGD or IGP. Set it to PEG, save and exit. Shut down and hook your monitor to the video card and see if it boots now.