Raid 0 Performance

kookooshortman55

I currently have two 300GB Velociraptors set up in RAID 0, and am concerned about their performance. I benchmarked them with CDM and only got an average of 140 MB/s, but online benchmarks have them rated to transfer at 200MB/s. While they are still plenty fast, I'm having trouble diagnosing the problem.

I have them set up in RAID on a Maximus III Formula, in the "Speeding" ports. It automatically sets up the drives in RAID 0, and are connected to their own controller. Would you suspect the slow performance is due to the controller, or could it be the drives that are broken? I bought them used.

jasonn20

What program are you using to test your HDD speed?

Did you test each drive's speed before you set up Raid 0?

If each drive were to get 130mb/s max then in Raid 0 it should be about 260mb/s...

If one drive is 130mb/s and the other is 80mb/s then in Raid 0 it should be about 160mb/s...

FXB

It's rarely a good idea to get computer hardware used. Perhaps your drives are the problem but like jason mentioned you should test each drive independently before setting up the RAID or try a different software to test the speed. I know for a fact in photography not all softwares give the same image when importing a RAW file.

tlarkin

VIP Member
how are you benching them? RAID 0 only boost data throughput you have to stress it with large amounts of it.