Raid

anbo369

hello world,

i was just wondering what raid-0 and all the similar stuff like that means?
Will it apply to me if i build a computer? (i'm a noob so... you get the point)

cheers!

mac550

you can make it apply, RAID uses 2 or more HDD's in order to different thing, i.e. RAID 0 puts the data on all disks to increase data bandwidth, RAID 1 puts the data on both disks to avoid data loss if one of the HDD's fails. it depends on if you want more performance and/or want to minimize the chance of data being lost. you dont have to have RAID for a computer to work but it can have its advantages.

Click here for a wikipedia page on RAID

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
so do i just activate it in the BIOS or something?

You would have to setup raid in your bios first, as long as the motherboard supported it, if not you would need a raid addin card. And if you plan on having windows installed on this raid array you would have to do a clean install of the OS, as a special driver is required.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Redundant Array of Independent Disks. RAID is really more of a server side technology in my opinion, but in some cases an end user can really benefit from it. My advice to those power users that want extreme disk I/O performance to either buy a nice fast, high RPM drive, or SSD and run all your apps and OS off of it. Then keep a large hard drive for storage of data files.