Raid

azeem40

Since I just found out I can't RAID an SSD and an HDD, is there any reason to spend extra $ buying two 500 GB HDDs and RAID them for Gaming?

spirit

Staff member
Any reason why? Just saying no doesn't help me in the least.
If you stripe two hard drives in RAID0, you gain twice the speed, but half the reliability, so your drives are more likely to fail. RAID0 works by writing to the two disks alternatively, so you might think if one fails you'll still have halve your data on the other drive, but you don't, because the data will not be usable. It's better just to buy one big fast drive. I assume you mean RAID0 when you say 'RAID', there are other RAIDs as well, but RAID0 is for speed. RAID1 is for backup, that works by writing the files to both drives so if one drive fails you still have all your data on the other drive because RAID1 simply copies drives.

kobaj

VIP Member
^ He's right, besides it would only marginally increase your load times on larger files. IMO costs to performance isn't justified, simply buy one hard drive as suggested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795

You're right in that currently the cost is not worth it. But back when a terabyte was 50$, raid was well worth it (imo).

I run it myself and find a significant decrease in install and load times. Enough so that I don't feel the need to get an SSD yet :).